List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 16 2001 9:10pm
Subject:Re: Sharing pws between UNIX and MySQL?
View as plain text
At 7:21 PM +0000 9/16/01, Jonas Larsson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>By looking in the documentation and the FAQ I can't find out how one
>should do to share passwords (in e.g. MD5 format) between UNIX (e.g.
>Linux) and MySQL.
>
>I like to setup a MySQL database for 20 of my users on a Linux box
>and it would be nice if they could retain their UNIX passwords. Is
>there a tool to transfer the passwords from the UNIX accounts to
>MySQL?

There is no connection between the two.

Besides, how would you decrypt their passwords? :-)

(You can't just transfer the encrypted form from /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow or whatever into the user.user table, because MySQL
doesn't use the same encryption algorithm.)

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread