List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 23 1999 10:19pm
Subject:Re: database backups
View as plain text
>EC> As for the potential to lose data consistency, see section 5.4 of
>EC> the manual for a related discussion on record locking and
>EC> commit-rollback.  Sections
>EC> 7.23 and 10.10 talk about table locking.
>
>But if you're copying the database piece by piece without knowledge of
>the applications modifying it, then you will have inconsistencies.
>
>The application as a whole may not, but the copy may.

Well, I understand that - to do a proper backup, the database must be
quiescent, but if you're running 24/7, you take what you can get :)

Disk mirroring is a much better solution, IMO, but some folks can't afford
the extra expense.

Thread
database backupsDavid Johnson23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsVivek Khera23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsPeter Carter23 Mar
Re: database backupsEd Carp23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsFraser MacKenzie23 Mar
    • Re: database backups(Martin Koistinen)23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsVivek Khera24 Mar
Re: database backupsEd Carp24 Mar
Re: database backupsEd Carp24 Mar
Re: database backupsChristian Stocker24 Mar