List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:July 27 1999 6:04pm
Subject:Re: Varchar question
View as plain text
At 23:10, 19990726, Paul DuBois wrote:
>At 1:58 AM -0500 7/27/99, David Stack wrote:
>>Lets say my max record length is 30 characters in size.
>>
>>Is there any disadvantage to using the varchar(255) column in the above
>>situation?
>
>None that I can see.  About the only difference is that if you store
>a 31-character string into a VARCHAR(30) column, the last character will
>be chopped of.  With VARCHAR(255), it won't be.

As I understand it, MySQL will allocate 255 bytes in memory to hold
the values in that column.  So it will use slightly more memory when
performing queries if you use (255) instead of (30).

Tim
Thread
Varchar questionDavid Stack27 Jul
  • Re: Varchar questionPaul DuBois27 Jul
    • Re: Varchar questionThimble Smith27 Jul
      • Re: Varchar questionPaul DuBois27 Jul
Re: Varchar questionDavid Kaufman27 Jul