List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 11 2001 9:30pm
Subject:Re: What have i done? adding new db
View as plain text
At 2:18 PM -0700 9/11/01, Kevin Tomasek wrote:
>I am very much a part mysql db administrator, this is an appology for my
>ignorance.
>
>we are using mysql for 2 databases that are functioning normally.  people
>add and access information without problem.
>
>i wish to add a third.  i don't recall the exact process that i went through
>before to add the second.  in the process i have become more comfortable
>with mysql and database access so i have become somewhat dangerous.
>
>what i see is..  i enter mysql database as admin user from the command line.
>
>mysql> use mysql;
>mysql> show tables:
>
>stuff..
>columns_priv
>db
>func
>host
>tables_priv
>user
>end of stuff..
>
>mysql> select * from db;
>
>stuff..
>% | test | ..............
>% | dba |..............
>end of stuff..
>
>one of the two db's that we are using, dbb, is not shown!!

The db table doesn't necessarily list all the databases that are hosted
by your server.  It only lists those for which you have explicitly granted
privileges to users.  And if users have global privileges (as defined in
the user table), they don't need to have privileges listed in the db table.

So I would guess that you can use the database when connected to the server
as a user that has global privileges (such as root), and not when connected
as an ordinary user without such privileges. Is that the case?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread