List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 10 2001 3:57pm
Subject:Re: Column definition: The EXTRA column
View as plain text
At 2:04 PM +0200 9/10/01, Ralof wrote:
>I am trying to use the EXTRA column that exist
>in mySQL (	DEFAULT
>		EXTRA
>		FIELD
>		KEY
>		NULL
>		PRIVILEGES
>		TYPE), but I do not understand how to put a
>value into it, I can get the value with SHOW COLUMNS,
>but I can not set it, andd it seem to be totally
>ignored in the manual.
>
>Does anyone know anything about this?

There is no EXTRA coluumn.

You're misinterpreting the output from SHOW COLUMNS.  That statement
provides information about the columns in a table, but the column names
of the SHOW COLUMNS output do not all corrspond to attributes that
you can set directly when you create the table.

Those you can specify directly:
FIELD (column name)
TYPE (the column type; INT, CHAR, etc.)
NULL (by specifying NULL or NOT NULL)
DEFAULT
KEY (by specifying indexes for the the table)

Those you cannot specify directly:
EXTRA (currently used in SHOW COLUMNS only to indicate whether or not
   the column has the AUTO_INCREMENT attribute)
PRIVILEGES (you must set these with a GRANT statement)

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread