List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Koistinen Date:March 23 1999 7:35pm
Subject:Re: database backups
View as plain text
A little off topic, I use a cron job that pipes the output of mySQL dumps
for each installed database into PGP then gzip and finally mail which send
the encrypted, compressed DBs OFFSITE for additional security.

>locking a table would provide a problem if all of the tables interacted.
>You would have to lock all interacting tables together and then do it.  I
>just use mysqldump 4 times a day to provide my backup needs.
>
>Fraser

>> without
>> >
>> >It depends on what your backups are for.  Are they for archival
>> >purposes or are they for emergency recovery?
>> >
>> >If they are for archival purposes, then you probably will need to turn
>> >off the updates and make your copy, otherwise you'll end up with an
>> >inconsistent set of data, potentially.
>> >
>> >If your backups are for emergency recovery, then you really should
>> >consider putting your data on a RAID of some sort.  Exactly which type
>> >of RAID to use depends on your budget and performance and safety
>> >requirements.  Seeing as how you have a 24x7 operation going (don't we
>> >all these days?) this is probably the way to go for you.
>>

>> Another alternative would be to write a small C program that would emulate
>> what mysqldump does, but lock the table in question, dump the data record,
>> then undo the lock and sleep for X milliseconds, to allow the database to
>> have access to the table the majority of the time.  Another alternative
>> would be to hack mysqldump to do the same thing.
>>
>> As for the potential to lose data consistency, see section 5.4 of the manual
>> for a related discussion on record locking and commit-rollback.  Sections
>> 7.23 and 10.10 talk about table locking.

Have you visited                                   Martin J. Koistinen
http://www.connect.slb.com                 Manager of Electronic Media
lately?                                   225 Schlumberger Drive, MD-2
                                          Sugar Land, TX  281-285-7847

Thread
database backupsDavid Johnson23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsVivek Khera23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsPeter Carter23 Mar
Re: database backupsEd Carp23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsFraser MacKenzie23 Mar
    • Re: database backups(Martin Koistinen)23 Mar
  • Re: database backupsVivek Khera24 Mar
Re: database backupsEd Carp24 Mar
Re: database backupsEd Carp24 Mar
Re: database backupsChristian Stocker24 Mar