List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem Date:September 6 2001 8:33pm
Subject:Re: Password error
View as plain text
On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:50:47PM -0700, Adams, Bill TQO wrote:
> Mike Ryerse wrote:
>
> > I have resently installed mysql 3.23.41 on Redhat 7.1
> >
> > When I installed it, I could access the example
> > databases 'mysql' and 'test'.  Mysql said to change
> > the root password right away with :
> > mysqladmin -h host -u root -p password 'new password'
>
> Note, do not put a space between the -p and the password normally:
> mysqladmin -h host -u root -ppassword
>   OR
> mysqladmin -h host -u root --password=password
>
> That may be why you cannot connect.

I tried it with 3.23.41 and BACKFIRE.

> > so I did it, but now mysql won't let me log in as any
> > user, not even root.
>
> Did you really put a space in the password? Or was that for demonstration
> purposes only?
>

> > I have tried to re-install with rpm -i --force, and
> > uninstall with rpm -e, neither will change the
> > permissions of mysql.
> >
> > What should I do?
>
> As Gerald Clark said, the manual has a section on how to reset the password.
>
> --Bill

contact:
Dave Yadallee  NetLine 2000  The Edmonton Internet Service Company
root@stripped	 http://www.nl2k.ab.ca
990-3244
Thread
Password errorMike Ryerse6 Sep
  • Re: Password errorGerald Clark6 Sep
  • Re: Password errorBill TQO Adams6 Sep
    • Re: Password errorSystem Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem6 Sep
  • Re: Password errorGregg Baker6 Sep