List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:September 5 2001 7:23pm
Subject:Re: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) error
View as plain text
Well, this is a client error, not a server error.
What client is this?
Maybe you have another my.cnf in the data directory,
or possibly a .my.cnf file in your home directory.

BW (ST) wrote:

> I'm trying to use a socket besides the standard /tmp/mysql.sock one.  I've
> tried specifying socket=/path/to/socket in both [client] and [mysqld]
> sections of my.cnf, and I've tried to edit safe_mysqld directly with this
> path.  In all cases, the mysql server appears to start (no error messages
> are generated when I run S99mysql start, anyway), but I get the "ERROR 2002:
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"
> message.
>
> I'm guessing that some other file is overwriting the my.cnf settings so that
> the server still expects connections to come through the /tmp/mysql.sock
> socket.  I can't, however, figure out which file that is/may be.
>
> In consulting the docs, all I can glean is that (1) I'm using the wrong
> socket file which is precisely what I'm attempting to do, or (2) per the
> third-to-last bullet at the bottom of p.571 of the mysql manual, I need to
> somehow notify the clients of the new path.  I believe this is where I'm
> stuck since I thought the [client] setting in my.cnf was suppose to do this.
>
> All help to sort this out is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Gerald L. Clark
gerald_clark@stripped

Thread
'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorBW \(ST\)5 Sep
  • RE: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorCarsten H. Pedersen5 Sep
    • Re: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorBrian Warn5 Sep
  • Re: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorGerald Clark5 Sep
Re: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorEd Carp6 Sep
  • Re: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorBW6 Sep
  • Re: 'tmp/mysql.sock' (2) errorGerald Clark6 Sep