List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 4 2001 3:55pm
Subject:Re: --log-update to tape drive?
View as plain text
At 11:16 AM -0400 9/4/01, Nick Willey wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is it possible to use a tape drive (/dev/ht0 in my case) as the destination
>for mysql logging?  MySQL manual only mentions outputting to disk file.
>Example:
>
>% safe-mysqld --log-update= tar -czvf /dev/ht0/mysql-update.log
>
>I've tried the above with the following error in the error log:
>
>Could not use tar -czvf /dev/ht0/mysql-update.log for logging (error 2)
>
>Any comments are appreciated.

Your command doesn't actually match your stated intent, because it doesn't
actually log to a tape drive.  It logs to another program, which isn't
supported.

It would probably work if you logged directly to the tape device,
although that won't write a compressed log.  But if your drive has hardware
compression, that might not matter.

Otherwise, you might try rotating the log every now and then, and
then using another program to write the log to tape after a new log
file has been started.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread