List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 26 1999 9:14pm
Subject:Re: images/ video
View as plain text
Travis wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I am curious, which is better, to store binary media in blobs in a
> table, or to use a subdirectory with a file name that corresponds to the
> primary key of the table, and just read them from the file system. Or is
> there another option that is more favorable. Any pointers or suggestions
> will be much appreciated.
> Thanx
> Travis@Snap!

MySQL relies on the filesystem to store the data. It would be rather
wasteful to use it store large chunks of data that does not need to be
orginized or searched in any particular fashion - you can get the same
from the filesystem without the SQL overhead.

If MySQL could use a raw device, then this would be arguble - the
question would be wheter MySQL could store raw data more efficiently
than the filesystem.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)