List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 26 1999 5:23pm
Subject:Re: MySQL vs. SQLBase / MS SQL Server, etc.
View as plain text
Jon Nash wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been using MySQL off and on for about a year for simple web based
> things.  At the same time my organization has been writting a major
> accounting package for internal use.
> As my limited experience with MySQL has grown I have begun to question the
> need for a commercial SQL server.  We are currently using SQL Base on a
> Novell server.
> I realize that SQL Base is not one of the larger or more expensive servers,
> compaired to Oracle or Informix.  I also realize that MySQL doesn't have
> /all/ the features that Informix or Oracle may have.
> Without instigating a holy war I would like request some serious thoughts
> about MySQL (or PostgreSQL for that matter) as they compair to other
> commercial servers.  I'm not too interested in speed - I know that MySQL is
> quick.  I'm more interested in daily operations, commonly used features,
> stability.
> Up to this point I have never heard anything that would make me doubt the
> viability of MySQL (or PostgreSQL) but I know that every tool has its
> limitations.  Where would you draw the line?  Where does MySQL or PostgreSQL
> fit in?  Would you / have you written mission critical applications (account
> or maybe student records) based on MySQL or PostgreSQL?
> Thanks in advance for you help!
> Sincerely,
> Jon Nash

Our company is running a time-tracking system based on MySQL - the only
complaints/problems I ever hear are not MySQL-related - users keep
forgetting their own passwords :-)

MySQL is great on stability. It is also great in the area of support -
if you want to get an idea of how well it is supported by the developers
and the user community, check the mailing list archives - questions are
answered within hours, and bugs are patched within days or workarounds
suggested if the patch it is not feasible.

My opinion is somewhat partial, since I am about to join the MySQL team,
but I became convinced of the good qualities of MySQL first before I
made the decision to help development.

Sasha Pachev (home) (work)
MySQL vs. SQLBase / MS SQL Server, etc.Jon Nash26 Jul
  • MySQL vs. SQLBase / MS SQL Server, etc.sinisa26 Jul
  • Re: MySQL vs. SQLBase / MS SQL Server, etc.Sasha Pachev26 Jul