List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:August 29 2001 1:25pm
Subject:RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreement
View as plain text
> My point, and I believe Ed's point, is that I'm not clear on use of the
> MySQL logo in my software, printed material, etc.

What concerns me is that the new logo licensing stuff is so restrictive,
*anyone* who even displays the logo on a web site ("powered by MySQL") has
to get WRITTEN PERMISSION to do so from MySQL AB.  I'm uncomfortable with
that, particularly since it's free advertising for MySQL, and the way I look
at it, anyone who displays the logo on their web site (except for blatantly
trying to rip off MySQL in some way) is doing MySQL a favor, and it seems
particularly ungrateful to the developer community to force them to jump
through all kinds of hoops to do MySQL a favor.

Does that make any sense?  I'm not trying to slam MySQL, I'm just concerned
about displaying the logo on a web site that says "powered by MySQL" or
modifying the logo like folks used to do to produce all kinds of cool
enhancements to the name MySQL.

Thread
Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementEd Carp29 Aug
  • Re: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementGerald R. Jensen29 Aug
  • Server overload problemsCatalin Tenita29 Aug
RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementEd Carp29 Aug
RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementGerald Jensen29 Aug
  • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementSinisa Milivojevic29 Aug
    • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementGerald Jensen29 Aug
      • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementEd Carp29 Aug
        • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementB. van Ouwerkerk29 Aug
        • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementSinisa Milivojevic4 Sep
      • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementSinisa Milivojevic29 Aug
    • Re: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementVan29 Aug
      • Re: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementSinisa Milivojevic30 Aug
    • Re: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementVan30 Aug
      • Re: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementSinisa Milivojevic30 Aug
        • Re: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementFrank Fisher30 Aug
  • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementMichael Widenius3 Oct
    • RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementmassey3 Oct
RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreementWill Ganz29 Aug
Re: Server overload problemsEd Carp29 Aug