List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:August 28 2001 10:33pm
Subject:FULLTEXT exact match queries?
View as plain text
How do I do exact phrase matches using FULLTEXT?

I have this 2 million row table, full of text data, that I want to search
for an exact phrase.  When I say:

select * from Laws WHERE MATCH(Line) AGAINST ('MDMA') ORDER BY ID;

It works correctly, returning 1 row, MUCH faster than doing a "select ...
LIKE"!

But when I do:

select * from Laws WHERE MATCH(Line) AGAINST ('growth hormone') ORDER BY ID;

MySQL returns every row with either "growth" OR "hormone" in it, which isn't
what I wanted.  Is there a way to only return the rows where the exact
phrase "growth hormone" is present?
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  -  erc@stripped  -  214/341-4420 -
http://www.pobox.com/~erc

Squished Mosquito, Inc.
Internet Applications Development
Escapade Server-Side Scripting Language Development Team
http://www.squishedmosquito.com
Pensacola - Dallas - Dresden - London - Paris

Thread
FULLTEXT exact match queries?Ed Carp29 Aug
  • Re: FULLTEXT exact match queries?Sergei Golubchik29 Aug
    • RE: FULLTEXT exact match queries?Ed Carp29 Aug
Re: FULLTEXT exact match queries?Sergei Golubchik29 Aug