List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Barry Date:March 23 1999 3:08pm
Subject:Group By vs. Order By
View as plain text
Hello All,

I am relatively new to MySQL and SQL. But, for the first project, I am
having fantastic success!

Playing with some queries, I got unexpected results for a query containing
Group By and Order By clauses.

What is the definition of Group By? Is there a good web document with
definitions of SQL?

I had guessed that Group By would put rows with the same values for a
column next to eachother (in a group). But, (and I cannot remember exactly
what I used for a query), I found it only returned a single row from each
group.

I have looked in the MySQL docs. I think I need more of an SQL description.

Thanks much,
Barry.

Thread
Group By vs. Order ByBarry23 Mar