List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:August 16 2001 3:36pm
Subject:Re: Downsides of MySQL?
View as plain text
Urgh...I've been fortunate enough to avoid things like this myself
until recently, when some of my PHP/MySQL/Apache stuff is getting
tossed out in favor of Cold Fusion/MS-SQL Server/MS-IIS. Anyway, my
2c:

At 8:35 AM -0500 8/16/01, Boget, Chris wrote:
>Good morning.
>Recently, we presented MySQL as a database option for a website that
>we might be working on.  We've used it as our database in the past and
>we plan on using it in the future as possible.
>With that said, I confess I don't have as intimate a knowledge of mySQL
>to address some of the things in the email that was sent to me.  I'd like
>to hear what some of you have to say/think about this.  I know some
>of the things said below aren't entirely correct, but I'm not 100% sure
>about some of the others.
>
>--Begin Quote--
>
>MySQL - as I said at our meeting, we would not be comfortable with this
>as an enterprise strength solution. MySQL is unsupported freeware and
>lacks enterprise management functionality.

Do these people even know what they mean by 'enterprise management
functionality', or did they just crib from an Oracle brochure? DO
they have any specifics about what they require?

>It has a small limited feature
>set compared to ORACLE, DB/2 and is lacking the functionality to support
>data replication and has little capability for generating management info.

No surprise that these folks haven't been following MySQL development
for quite a while, and probably don't know about its replication
features. I haven't used 'em myself, though, so I can't vouch for
their robustness.

As far as the feature set & manageability, it's true - there's a
lotta things MySQL made a conscious decision to leave out (unions,
views, triggers, stored procedures, subselects [i know, coming soon],
foreign key support, etc.) in favor of speed/small memory footprint.
And you have to go to third-parties for
reverse-engineering/diagramming tools.

If your application requires such, then maybe MySQL _isn't_ the right
solution; however - depending on your app - Oracle/DB2/whatever might
be sheer overkill. Administrative overhead for systems like those
might far outweigh any advantages they have for you.

>There are question marks around the scalability of the product, I'm not
>sure of the locking algorithms used (whether row level or record level) -
>the

It depends on table type; AFAIK, it can be table (ISAM/MyISAM),
page-level (BDB), or row-level (InnoDB). See:

	http://www.mysql.com/doc/L/o/Locking_methods.html

	http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/a/Table_locking.html

	http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/InnoDB_Next-key_locking.html

You've got a choice! This used to be considered a good thing...

>fact that it is not generally used in multi-user solutions is a good enough
>indication that this is not accepted database technology for
>industrial-strength
>multi-user systems.
>The fact that it is unsupported freeware would mean that an end user would
>potentially be "held to ransom" by a DBA with specific knowledge.

This kinda of statement is beginning to REALLY rile me when I hear
it. Even if you discount the fact that this mailing list provides
better support than the majority of PAID support programs, if you
want to, the MySQL folks would be more than happy to take a large
amount of your $$$ to provide excellent support:

	http://www.mysql.com/support/arrangements/types.html

- this can include customizing MySQL for you! There are also
individual consultants & firms that will support you as well. How
anyone could actually back up a claim of MySQL being 'unsupported' is
beyond me.

>The mySQL
>security model is also not sufficiently developed for any system that
>involves
>money.

I dunno, with some combination of encrypted fields, database server
behind a firewall, SSH-tunnelled communication and good DB/system
administration, you'd have a plenty secure system. After all, I don't
think any of the recent and not-so-recent credit-card number thefts
have been on MySQL systems.

OK, back to work for me. But first, some Mountain Dew...

	-steve

--
+------------------------ Open source questions? ------------------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |
| sbedberg@stripped                               Computer Consultant |
| http://aesric.ucdavis.edu/                  http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |
+----------- http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/open-source-tools.html -----------+
Thread
Downsides of MySQL?Chris Boget16 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Sinisa Milivojevic16 Aug
  • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Sander Pilon16 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Frank Fisher16 Aug
  • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Jay Fesco16 Aug
  • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Ravi Raman16 Aug
    • Downsides of MySQL?nigel wood16 Aug
      • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Tyrone Mills16 Aug
        • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Gerald Jensen16 Aug
        • Re: Downsides of MySQL?hooker17 Aug
          • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Tyrone Mills17 Aug
          • Re: Downsides of MySQL?jay downs17 Aug
            • Re: Downsides of MySQL?s. keeling17 Aug
        • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Frank Fisher17 Aug
          • Re: Upsides of MySQL?Sinisa Milivojevic17 Aug
        • RE: Upsides of MySQL?Sinisa Milivojevic17 Aug
      • htmlTheo Richel16 Aug
        • Re: htmlGerald Jensen16 Aug
        • Re: htmlPhilip Mak16 Aug
      • win98 - perlSammi Thompson17 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Michael Bacarella16 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Steve Edberg16 Aug
    • Re: Downsides of MySQL?David Turner16 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Jason McKnight16 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Frank Fisher17 Aug
RE: Downsides of MySQL?Mike Robinson16 Aug
  • RE: Downsides of MySQL?William R. Mussatto16 Aug
  • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Michael Widenius18 Dec
    • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Count Schemula18 Dec
Re: Downsides of MySQL?Robert Cross16 Aug
RE: Downsides of MySQL?sean.odonnell16 Aug
  • RE: Downsides of MySQL?Ravi Raman16 Aug
  • Re: Downsides of MySQL?Michael T. Babcock16 Aug
RE: Downsides of MySQL?sean.odonnell16 Aug
RE: Downsides of MySQL?luis ferro18 Dec