List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Stocker Date:March 23 1999 8:00am
Subject:umlaute and "caseinsensitive" search.
View as plain text
hi

is there any function or whatever in mysql that umlauts (öüä etc..) are
treated like letters without an umlaut, so means ä=a ü=e è=e (not an
umlaut,
i know)

actually, we do this a the moment the following way:

if someone searches for zurich
we're translating that to (within PHP)

"[zZ][uUüÜ][rR][iI][cC]"

to get an case insensititiv search with the possibility to write zurich or
zürich.
is there an easier way to achieve that?

(oh yeah, the correct code for the above example is even
"[zZ][uUüÜûüÜÛ][rR][iIÏï][cCç]")

furthermore we even translate the üäö to ue,ae,oe, because in german this
is
allowd, then our searchstring looks like this

"[zZ][ue|UE|uUüÜûüÜÛ][rR][iIÏï][cCç]"

but that's certainly beyond the scope of mysql, and i have to do that with
PHP, i think
chregu
---
everything else is futile...

Thread
umlaute and "caseinsensitive" search.Christian Stocker23 Mar
  • Re: umlaute and "caseinsensitive" search.Martin Ramsch23 Mar