List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 23 1999 4:21am
Subject:MEDIUMBLOBs vs. LONGBLOBs
View as plain text

sinisa> David Johnson writes:
>> Hi!
>> My project has a bunch of tables with MEDIUMBLOB columns.  There is a very,
>> very tiny possibility that we will eventually exceed the MEDIUMBLOB size in
>> the distant future, so my bosses are suggesting we just go with LONGBLOBS
>> everywhere.  Is there any extra performance cost to this besides the extra
>> bite for the size?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> DJ

sinisa> Hi!

sinisa> No, there should not be any. Only few extra bytes in ISAM.

sinisa> Sinisa

Hi!

Note however that the current MySQL protocol and the ISAM level
restricts a MySQL row to little under 24M.

Why do you need such large blobs?  (Just curious)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
MEDIUMBLOBs vs. LONGBLOBsDavid Johnson23 Mar
  • MEDIUMBLOBs vs. LONGBLOBssinisa23 Mar
    • MEDIUMBLOBs vs. LONGBLOBsMichael Widenius23 Mar