List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:July 22 1999 8:16pm
Subject:Re: after install mysql server inaccessable or not running
View as plain text
At 14:10, 19990722, welk@stripped wrote:
>> Do you actually have /var/tmp/mysql.sock?
>>
>No, and that is the problem.
>
>Upon further review, it appears that the FreeBSD port for MySQL
>installs mit-pthreads instead, precluding the unix socket
>regarless of attempted directives.

I'd suggest ignoring the port and going right from the sources.
Use the port if it's useful, but don't get hung up on it.  It's
not magic!

I have had no trouble compiling from the distribution that is on
the MySQL home page.  If you do have trouble with it, it'll be
easier to solve what's gone wrong with that, than trying to sort
through what the port is doing.

I like ports, I think they're great, but if it's not working, it's
not great.  If you're feeling like using the port, try mailing
the FreeBSD ports mailing list (freebsd-ports@stripped) and
send them the output of your make command, and also what version
of FreeBSD you're using, etc.  You'll get some good help from
that.

Tim

>Thimble Smith wrote:
>> I've built on 3.2-STABLE recently using something like this:
>>
>> CC=egcc CXX=egcc CXXFLAGS="-felide-constructors -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -O2" \
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --user=mysql
>>
>> It's using native threads, and works great.  It's handling signals properly
>> (I can kill a thread, or shutdown the server normally) and I haven't had
>> any crashes.
Thread
after install mysql server inaccessable or not runningwelk@netten.net22 Jul
  • Re: after install mysql server inaccessable or not runningThimble Smith22 Jul
  • Re: after install mysql server inaccessable or not runningwelk@netten.net22 Jul
    • Re: after install mysql server inaccessable or not runningThimble Smith23 Jul