List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 22 1999 6:53pm
Subject:Re: Need some help with stability.
View as plain text
"Geocrawler.com" wrote:

> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Martin Lilienthal"
> <webmaster@stripped>
> Be sure to reply to that address.
>
> Is it possible that a change from a users who is NOT ROOT, of the users-Table forces
> MySQL to crash (or even can force it to crash), so that the whole System needs to be
> reinstalled?
> Our ISP wants a $300 fee because we changed the permissions in the users table (we
> changed only the permissions for our username!) and because of our changes the system is
> crashed an they needed to reinstall it...... they say...
> We do not believe this. We think that somebody else crashed MySQL and they cheat
> us....
> Can they proove that the MySQL-System crashed because of our changes?
>
> Some advice from a developer of  MySQL or a Sysadmin who is very experienced with it
> would be very helpful.....
>
> regards, Martin

I suggest you change your ISP. Like Sinisa said, a change to MySQL table
cannot be the cause of a crash. An ISP that tries to blame their lack of
compentence on you does not deserve your money.

Besides, this violates a sacred principle of system adminstration: the
system must be configured in such a way that no actions of the user,
intentionally malicious or not, could bring the system down. If the
system is brought down by some actions of users, it is  the sysadmin's
fault first because he made it possible.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)