List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 22 1999 6:42pm
Subject:Re: Sub-select
View as plain text
Gloria Teo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about sub-select. I have read it in the tutorials but
> it is version 4.32 and the available version of mysql is 3.23 alpha.
> Where can one get a freeware 4.32 version of mysql. It is mentioned in
> the documentation that mysql 3.23 do not support sub-select. How can I
> go around with this problem? I need sub-select for my thesis. Please
> help!
>
> Thanks
>
> gloria

Gloria:

I hope when the version 4.32 of MySQL comes out, it will have subselects
:-) but no one, including Monty himself knows when this is going to
happen. The latest stable version is 3.22.25, and the latest deveopment
version is 3.23.1 - it still needs to be tested and patched quite a bit
before you can reliably use it for production. Subselects are not
implemented yet even in the latest devepment version, but they are
planned in later versions of 3.23.

There are several ways to perform a sub-select equivalent -  re-write
your query, use temporary tables, or if the intermediate data set is
small, process it in the application

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)