List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:July 21 1999 5:33pm
Subject:Re: mysql.sock
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jul 21), pete collins said:
> mysqladmin  Ver 7.11 Distrib 3.22.24, for -freebsd3.2 on i386
>
> $ mysqlshow
> mysqlshow: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> i did a find and cannot find this file anywhere.
>
> I have mysql installed on threee other freeBSD boxes and never saw this
> error before?
>
> this file isn't on the other boxes either . . .
>
> it is looking for the sock file but my guess is it has a different name
> and location on freeBSD
>
> any help as to how i can recitfy this problem would be great.

It's a side-effect of the default configuration for FreeBSD.  Either
add '-h localhost' to your client commandline to force mysql to use
TCP/IP, or rebuild mysql with --with-mit-threads=no to force use of
FreeBSD's native threads (MIT threads doesn't support unix sockets).

If you're using the mysql port, set NATIVE_THREADS=yes in the Makefile.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
mysql.sockpete collins21 Jul