List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 14 2001 6:47pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Variables
View as plain text
>At 12:25 PM -0500 7/14/01, Paul DuBois wrote:
>>>Any solution I've tried using the LassoMySQL/var/my.cnf or
>>>~/.my.cnf files affect both the special installation as well as
>>>the standard MySQL installation. I find I will always get the
>>>standard port.
>>
>>Settings in the [client] group of your ~/.my.cnf file would affect any
>>client that you run.  I would expect that all clients would therefore
>>connect to the same server...
>
>But if I use /Path/specialMySQL/var/my.cnf and my option file contains:
>
>[client]
>port=14551
>socket=/tmp/LassoMySQL.sock
>
>Then, invoking the client from within /Path/specialMySQL/bin/mysql
>would use the different port and socket?>
>
>And, using /usr/local/mysql would then use the default datadirectory and port?

The clients won't use the option file in the data directory.  They will
only use the shared option file /etc/my.cnf, and the .my.cnf in your home
directory.  You might be better off creating aliases that specify the
options on the command line.

>BTW, this is on Mac OS X, I wouldn't think it would matter but I
>thought to mention it.

Shouldn't make any difference.  I've noticed no special problems with MySQL
on Mac OS X other than that mysqladmin shutdown doesn't work.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
      • Re: MySQL VariablesPaul DuBois14 Jul
        • Re: MySQL VariablesMichael Collins14 Jul
          • Re: MySQL VariablesPaul DuBois14 Jul
            • Re: MySQL VariablesMichael Collins15 Jul
              • Re: MySQL VariablesMichael Collins15 Jul
                • Re: MySQL VariablesPaul DuBois16 Jul
    • Re: MySQL VariablesMike<mickalo>Blezien14 Jul
      • Re: MySQL VariablesPaul DuBois14 Jul
      • Re: MySQL VariablesMichael Collins14 Jul
Re: MySQL VariablesMichael Collins16 Jul