List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 14 2001 12:31am
Subject:Re: Intalling MySQL
View as plain text
At 7:21 PM -0500 7/13/01, Mike<mickalo>Blezien wrote:
>Paul,
>
>thanks for the info. So if I'm ready this correctly, I would log
>into the server
>under my UNIX account, not as root, do the install of the server/client Mysql,
>create the new user/group, which would make me part of the new
>user/group, then
>start the server under this user/group. Is this correct??

Not really.  You have to be root to create the new user/group, for example.
And creating it doesn't make you part of that user/group.

Or I may just not be understanding you.  Here's one way to do it:
- As the UNIX root user, create the user/group that you intend to use
   for running the MySQL server
- Log in as that user and build/install MySQL.  (By doing this as that
   user, all the files will be owned by that user.)
- Start the server, either as that user, or as root.  In the latter case,
   specify the --user=xxx flag where xxx is the account you want to use for
   running the server.

There are other variations, such as installing everything as root.
In this case, you may have to change the ownership of the stuff in
the data directory to the non-root account or the server won't be able
to access database files when you run the server as that user.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
      • Re: Intalling MySQLPaul DuBois14 Jul
        • Re: Intalling MySQLMike<mickalo>Blezien14 Jul
  • Re: Intalling MySQLSteve Brazill14 Jul