List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:July 20 1999 7:21pm
Subject:Re: Several questions
View as plain text
Nathan Clegg wrote:

> I am researching different databases to determine which one my company
> should use in a new project.  As it will be a mission-critical piece of
> the implementation, I wanted to make absolutely sure of a few issues
> before I proceed with MySQL, the apparent leader.  Right now some merge
> questions, though I'm sure I'll have others as I go on here.
>
> I will need to make use of the MERGE capability.  Many of my tables
> will be extremely similar in structure, but I have broken them apart for a
> number of reasons: speed, size, and enumerations.
>
> 1) Can MERGE  work with tables who are identical except for their enum
> setup?  That is, they share the enumerated columns, but not necessarily the
> exact same enumerations.  These particular columns would not be part of the
> query anyway, as it would make little sense to compare them.
>
> 2) Can MERGE work with identical tables in different databases?
>
> 3) When will MERGE likely include indexes? (manual says "near future")
>
> ----------------------------------
> Nathan Clegg

Hi Nathan

Mysql doesn't have a MERGE command (yet).

But you can simulate this by using a temporary table.
This works just fine, and is really fast.

If you need more infos, just ask :)

Tschau
Christian

PS: Sorry for the late answer, I was on vacation.

Thread
Several questionsNathan Clegg14 Jul
  • Re: Several questionsChristian Mack20 Jul
    • Re: Several questionsNathan Clegg21 Jul
      • Re: Several questionsMichael Widenius30 Jul
  • Several questionsMichael Widenius30 Jul