List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 20 1999 4:59pm
Subject:Re: SV: Legal Issue / Licensing
View as plain text
Vivek Khera wrote:
> ME> If I design a site that I make no money off whatsoever and it runs on a
> ME> MySQL database, do I have to buy a MySQL license?
> We fell in exactly this same murky area.  I asked Monty and he said
> technically, no we don't need to pay.
> But given that without MySQL there would be NO WAY we could support
> the number of users we do, I bought an extended support license anyway
> (at $1000/year.)
> As for the rest of your scenarios, only TcX (Monty) can answer those,
> as they are the ones granting you the license.
> Personally, I think if you make money off of the use of MySQL, you
> should at least buy a basic license, if not a higher support license.
> It is the "right thing to do" (tm).
> Vivek Khera, Ph.D.                Khera Communications, Inc.
> Internet: khera@stripped       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
> PGP & MIME spoken here

The more people buy licences, the sooner MySQL will have subselects :-)

And if you need special features, buy extended login support :-)

Remember, Oracle and Co are "theirs", the sales people databases, MySQL
is "ours", developers, database - so if you can code volunteer to code,
otherwise, volunteer to pay or talk your boss into paying if you want to
see more cool stuff :-)

Sasha Pachev (home) (work)
SV: Legal Issue / LicensingMartin Edelius20 Jul
  • Re: SV: Legal Issue / LicensingPaul DuBois20 Jul
  • Re: SV: Legal Issue / LicensingVivek Khera20 Jul
  • Re: SV: Legal Issue / LicensingSasha Pachev20 Jul