List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 20 1999 4:39pm
Subject:Re: pricing
View as plain text
Fulko Hew wrote:

> > Please be careful not to generalize Windows users ... and never flame them
> > en masse on a public mailing list ... please be professional.
> >
> > I use NT because it is company policy ... in a firm with over 16,000
> > employees that cannot be changed overnight and probably never will be ...
> >
> > I am beta testing with MySQL because it is inexpensive and covers my needs
> > extremely efficiently, but, I need a Win32 version, which has been kindly
> > provided.
> >
> > That should answer your question as to "Why would anyone want to use windows
> > or a microsoft OS"
>
> The answer to that question "Why would anyone want to use windows or a
> microsoft OS" was answered in your own response.  Let me paraphrase:
>
> "because I am forced to use it... because my boss tells me I have to!"
>
> I find this all too often, and its unfortunate...  that the bosses don't
> realise how much that "arbitrary" decision costs them in lost productivity
> and frustration.  And even if they _do_ realize it, they ignore it, or
> have some pathetic rationalization, or just smile at you and walk away
> with that look, "see I screwed you, and I got away with it."
>
> Fulko
> "just my 2 cents worth"

I would not work for a boss like that - there are plenty of other
opportunities.

I think there is one thing that we as developers do not really
appreciate - we do have a lot of clout in the choices of software and
hardware that businesses make - maybe our current boss will not listen
to us now, but if he understands that we will change jobs given the
oppornutity to work with a better OS and development tools, he will
learn to cater to our needs, although maybe through the painful
experience of looking for a replacement.

While I am thinking of this, I would like to make a few comments about
two ways to run a software business: developer-oriented and
sales-oriented. In the sales-oriented model, the people who are removed
from the technical side make the decisions, and the developers have to
dance to their tune. In the developer-oriented model, the management
first talks to the developers, considers the technical issues, and then
makes the decision with high regard of their input. If the developer
says something may take a while to do, the salesman does not sell it
until it is ready to go. Better yet, the sales sit back and let the
developers play, having faith that they will come up with something good
- and lo and behold - they do.

Let us consider a few examples:

Linux - no sales entity was even present until the product was developed
- Linus and the bunch were just having fun. Then Red Hat, Caldera,
Debian and others discovered that Linux was something they could
actually sell

Windows - totally sales driven - we get a piece of something that does
not smell good :-)

The truth of the matter is that to make a great product requires a lot
of creativity, and, unfortunately for the sales departments, creativity
is not money driven. I do not get creative when someone wags a million
dollars in front of me, does anyone? You may want that million dollars,
and you may direct your creativity towards obtaining that million, but
that will almost have no bearing on your creativity in the area of
software development. On the contrary, you will feel under pressure and
pressure is destructive to creativity. Creativty is present when the
developer has the internal desire to create the product. This desire is
a very tender and ellusive substance - things like pressure to sell,
desire to get rich quick and operating systems such as Windows are
destructive to it. In order for the developer to have this desire he
must be placed in an environment that promotes it - operating system and
development tools that he works on must be a product of creativity
rather than a spit-out from some trying to make a quick buck, the boss
must have patience, and the sales personel will need to be off limits
anywhere near the developer. Then, if a company is willing to create
such an environment, they will see great results, and they will get
their money back and more.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
pricingWhiteMoor Studio19 Jul
  • Re: pricingPaul DuBois19 Jul
  • Re: pricingSasha Pachev19 Jul
  • Retrieving & Storing imagesNolberto Rojas Gil19 Jul
  • Re: pricingFred Read20 Jul
  • pricingsinisa20 Jul
  • Re: pricingTechnische Dienst21 Jul
Re: pricingRobert Semenoff19 Jul