List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BAUMEISTER Alexandre Date:July 5 2001 4:46pm
Subject:Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connection
View as plain text
Bonjour Justin,

JF> I don't know why I got interested in this thread...

  More important (or less), why are you so negative ?

JF> I suppose you don't need a change to the wire protocol if
JF> you have, logically, something like below.  The API has
JF> to be changed, however.

JF> id      = do_a_connedtion(arg)
JF> set_comment_on_connection(id, "this_is_my_comment")
JF> // later
JF> some_array = get_connection_comments()
JF> // parse the array comments
JF> // do something or other as function of comment

  Not even have to modify the API. Read my previous email.

JF> Question:  Why, again, do you want this? You must see some utility
JF> in  this  other  than  academic interest, or taking statistics, or
JF> mischief,  such  as munging some field returning data to a Windows
JF> client  with "Screw Bill Gates" prepended to his blob requests, or
JF> kicking off connections to, say, any client in Tana Tuva.

  I  see an interest has an administrator of a really big site with 10
  Mysql  servers  each  answering more than 1000 queries each seconds.
  Queries that could come from hundreds of dynamic web pages, scripts,
  cronjobs, applications ...

  When  something  goes wrong, this feature would really help to debug
  and to fine a lot more quickly where the problems comes from.

JF> For readers like me, sitting on the sidelines, the "need" for this
JF> facility is obscure. Please make your case more evident.

  Hope this is more clear to you now.

  Regards,
  Alex.

Thread
size of a tablekarel pitra2 Jul
  • Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre2 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionD'Arcy Rittich2 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionSiomara Pantarotto2 Jul
  • Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionD'Arcy Rittich2 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionAlexandre BAUMEISTER4 Jul
  • Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg5 Jul
    • Re[3]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg5 Jul
      • different subdir for databaseJaime Teng5 Jul
        • Re: different subdir for databaseJeremy Zawodny5 Jul
          • RE: different subdir for databaseChris Bolt5 Jul
          • Re: different subdir for databaseJan Muszynski5 Jul
        • Re: different subdir for databaseMiguel Angel Sol√≥rzano5 Jul
      • Re[4]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
    • Re[3]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
  • Re: Re[4]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionAnsgar Becker5 Jul
    • Re[6]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
  • Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionJustin Farnsworth5 Jul
    • Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
  • Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionJustin Farnsworth5 Jul
RE: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionScott Hess5 Jul
  • Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionJustin Farnsworth5 Jul
Re[5]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg6 Jul
Re[5]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg6 Jul