List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BAUMEISTER Alexandre Date:July 5 2001 4:39pm
Subject:Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connection
View as plain text
Bonjour Justin,

  "user  agent"  was  just an example of what the commentary could be.
  You could put what you want as long as it's a string.

  I  agree with you and I already had this reflection that it could be
  a modification that could create some problems to some.

  Instead  of  modifying the protocol and the connection handshake, we
  could  maybe  do  that  through a query. This would be a new type of
  query which would only modify a field in the connection's data :

  mysql_real_connect(....,....,....,.....);
  mysql_query("SET CONNECTION_COMMENTARY 'Query from page xxx.phtml on server X'");

JF>         4.  MySQL sticks this "user agent" into a (new)
JF>                 datastructure somewhere associated with
JF>                 the connection.

  Yes.  But  once  more "user agent" was an example. On my own I think
  that  there  are  other  information  more interesting that could go
  there.

JF>         5.  A (new) API call to MySQL can fetch this
JF>                 information

  Not necessarily. I mentioned that this connection's commentary could
  be  return  in  the process list of Mysql (when you do a 'mysqladmin
  process' for example).

  Or it could be returned by a query like :

  mysql_query("GET CONNECTION_COMMENTARY");

  My  idea  of  this  feature  is  that  it could really help a lot in
  administrating a big database with a lot of connections.

JF> It seems to me that "all" you are asking for is

JF>         1.  Change in the wire protocol

  No.

JF>         2.  Design change in the MySQL API

  No modification of the API. "Only" a new query understood by Mysql.

  I've  already  been  at  the source of some modifications in the SQL
  syntax  of  Mysql  (SQL_BUFFER_RESULT) so I know that when something
  improves Mysql, something can be coded in Mysql.

JF>         3.  Upgrade of all applications using the API
JF>                 in the world

  No.  By  default  the commentary would be empty or maybe any default
  information. You would not HATE TO give a commentary.

JF>         4.  Depending on all programs to stick data in
JF>                 this requested "comment" field in the
JF>                 same consistent manner, unless you are
JF>                 asking for more riders/piggybacks and more fields
JF>                 in the wire protocol such as "user agent".

  Nothing new in the communication protocol.
  A new field in the connection structure + a new query type.

  Regards,
  Alex.

Thread
size of a tablekarel pitra2 Jul
  • Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre2 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionD'Arcy Rittich2 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionSiomara Pantarotto2 Jul
  • Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionD'Arcy Rittich2 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionAlexandre BAUMEISTER4 Jul
  • Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg5 Jul
    • Re[3]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg5 Jul
      • different subdir for databaseJaime Teng5 Jul
        • Re: different subdir for databaseJeremy Zawodny5 Jul
          • RE: different subdir for databaseChris Bolt5 Jul
          • Re: different subdir for databaseJan Muszynski5 Jul
        • Re: different subdir for databaseMiguel Angel Sol√≥rzano5 Jul
      • Re[4]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
    • Re[3]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
  • Re: Re[4]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionAnsgar Becker5 Jul
    • Re[6]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
  • Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionJustin Farnsworth5 Jul
    • Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
  • Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionJustin Farnsworth5 Jul
RE: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionScott Hess5 Jul
  • Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
Re[2]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionBAUMEISTER Alexandre5 Jul
Re: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionJustin Farnsworth5 Jul
Re[5]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg6 Jul
Re[5]: Proposition: Attach a comment to each connectionWerner Stuerenburg6 Jul