List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:July 20 1999 1:23am
Subject:Re: A document search engine
View as plain text
On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 09:59:51AM -0700, Philip Thomas wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> 	I am just wondering if anyone could offer me any help on how I can build a
> document based searching engine ? Specifically I want to build a search
> engine that will query a database based on this table structure :

data specification deleted.

> With that out of the way here are a few questions :
>
> I would like to keep everything in a database if I could, however that
> maybe too much to ask for, would I be better off downloading a popular
> search engine and start there ? Any suggestions ?

that is how wais works.

> If I managed to place it into the database, does anyhow know of a
> methodology of how I can construct a query scoring system, any pointers
> would be helpful ?

all of this is done fro you (automatically) nd much much more
when you set upp a wais server. i'm sure thier is a linux one,
i use teh one that comes in teh freebsd ports tree.

as well as this thier are also gateways to popular databases
(read sybase, oracle etc etc). if you have a service contract
with mysql it might be possible to get monty and crew to add a
wais2mysql gatway. this would all but obviate the need to go an
build a specific text searchig engine as an adjucnt to mysql
tool kit.

text dosn't work like meta data in a sql database. also rdbms
like mysql are not built to handle the (different) complexities
of infromation retrieval from a 'textual database', sorry it is
an ugly term but at the moment thise is no better one.

> Thanks for any help anyone can offer

its not the answer you were specifically looking for, but if it
is a text information retrieval system that you wish to build,
then wais is the only way to go, seriously.

regards

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Thread
A document search enginePhilip Thomas19 Jul
  • Re: A document search enginemysql19 Jul
  • Re: A document search enginejonathan michaels20 Jul