List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Antony T Curtis Date:July 19 1999 11:56pm
Subject:Re: pricing
View as plain text
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:37:31 +0000, Fred Read wrote:

>WhiteMoor Studio wrote:
>>
>> Dear sir/madam,
>>
>> First, I am not a user of MySQL (yet?). But I have a question.
>> Why do I have to pay a licence fee for a Microsoft OS while I
>> don't have to pay for a non Microsoft OS?
>
>It is customary to charge a premium for handling hazardous
>materials is it not?

Not forgetting that users of Microsoft software should be accustomed to
paying for software (if they haven't already pirated it).

>But seriously, generally speaking it costs more to set up a
>machine to develop Windows applications [OS, compiler et al]
>and that cost has recouped somehow.

This is even true with commercial Unixes... For example AIX... IBM's
own C compiler (VAC or C++SET) is not cheap yet the GNU C compiler is
freely available and productes code nearly as good but without IBM's
bugz.. =)   And then all the server software: Apache, BIND, PHP, Samba,
Squid...  they're all FOC yet their equivalents on the Windows platform
are either unstable or expensive, most often both.

Of course, for commercial support, one always pays - no matter what the
platform is.

Regards

	Antony.

Creator of PowerMOD/2 and other such things...

Site of The Universal Nexus	http://nuts.in-uk.net/
Apache-SSL for OS/2 (intl)	OLCS Net Administrator
ICQ#11066935			antony.curtis@stripped

Thread
pricingWhiteMoor Studio19 Jul
  • Re: pricingPaul DuBois19 Jul
  • Re: pricingSasha Pachev19 Jul
  • Retrieving & Storing imagesNolberto Rojas Gil19 Jul
  • Re: pricingFred Read20 Jul
  • pricingsinisa20 Jul
  • Re: pricingTechnische Dienst21 Jul
Re: pricingRobert Semenoff19 Jul