List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 19 1999 7:03pm
Subject:Re: pricing
View as plain text
WhiteMoor Studio wrote:

> Dear sir/madam,
>
> First, I am not a user of MySQL (yet?). But I have a question. Why do I have
> to pay a licence fee for a Microsoft OS while I don't have to pay for a non
> Microsoft OS?
>
> regards,
>
> WhiteMoor Studio
> Henri Witteveen
> http://wm.nl

This is a just speculatation, not to be taken seriously :-) - TCX
pricing structure tries to make it apparent which OS you should not be
running. If Microsoft can boss small companies around with its licencing
policies, well, the discrimination it gets in the MySQL licence is well
deserved :-) Plus Monty is not very fond of MS Windows, so if he has to
mess with it, he wants to be compensated for working in a harmful
environment. If it was up to me, I would charge three times as much for
a Windows version :-)

TCX is actually one of the few companies that would dare discriminate
against Microsoft. If others followed suit, or at least treated open
source OS's with a decent degree of respect, many businesses would
benefit a great deal - how many times do we hear of someone choosing
Windows only because they had to run one application that was available
only for Windows?

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
pricingWhiteMoor Studio19 Jul
  • Re: pricingPaul DuBois19 Jul
  • Re: pricingSasha Pachev19 Jul
  • Retrieving & Storing imagesNolberto Rojas Gil19 Jul
  • Re: pricingFred Read20 Jul
  • pricingsinisa20 Jul
  • Re: pricingTechnische Dienst21 Jul
Re: pricingRobert Semenoff19 Jul