List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Philip Thomas Date:July 19 1999 4:59pm
Subject:A document search engine
View as plain text
Greetings,

	I am just wondering if anyone could offer me any help on how I can build a
document based searching engine ? Specifically I want to build a search
engine that will query a database based on this table structure :

DoucmentID ID INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
DocumentTitle VARCHAR (255),
DocumentKeyWord LONGTEXT,
DocumentBriefDescription LONGTEXT,
DocumentIntroduction LONGTEXT, ( I am not so sure about this one )
DocumentURL varchar (255),

The document ID is self explanatory.
The document title column is less then 200 characters.
The keywords column; for every document there are approx 20 keywords, that
I want to be able to search.
All document text that is a LONGTEXT column contains less then 600
characters.
The document URL column will simply contain the path to the document or
maybe a query to fetch a web page from the database.

With that out of the way here are a few questions :

I would like to keep everything in a database if I could, however that
maybe too much to ask for, would I be better off downloading a popular
search engine and start there ? Any suggestions ?

If I managed to place it into the database, does anyhow know of a
methodology of how I can construct a query scoring system, any pointers
would be helpful ?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Regards,

 Philip Thomas / Jr. Developer
 Kids' World Network, Incorporated
 Email: phil@stripped
 WWW  : http://www.kwn.com/team/phil
 Voice: + (831) 648-3009
 Fax  : + (831) 648-3094
 PO Box 8759 Monterey, CA 93943-8759 USA

If you have received this email in error please notify our network manager
at noc@stripped. Thank you.

"Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live."
(Margaret Fuller)

Thread
A document search enginePhilip Thomas19 Jul
  • Re: A document search enginemysql19 Jul
  • Re: A document search enginejonathan michaels20 Jul