List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 19 1999 3:49pm
Subject:Re: Followup on symlinking database directories
View as plain text
At 10:34 AM -0500 7/19/99, <sinisa@stripped> wrote:
> database
> symlink to

> is
> MySQL,
> files
>in the
> database
> symlink.

> what
> only

> > >DROP DATABASE prior to 3.23.xx .......
> >

> > I'm afraid your cryptic answer does not mean anything to me.
> >
> > I repeat my questions:
> >
> > Can you explain what
> > you mean "use links"?  It is inadvisable to hard link a directory, only
> > root can do that anyway, and what would this gain you over a symlink?
>
>Over a hard link you could drop databases prior to 3.23.xx, without
>additional labour ...
>
>My answers are not cryptic, but sometimes when I write to a
>connausseur like you, I write short messages !!
>
>OK ??

I don't know if I'm a connoisseur, but thanks.  Still, I'm wondering
about that hard link stuff.  My understanding of hard links for directories
is that it's best to stay away from them, and let only the system
create them.  Do you have an example of when you would use one if
you're moving a database directory out of the data directory?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
        • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriesPaul DuBois19 Jul
          • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriessinisa19 Jul
            • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriesPaul DuBois19 Jul
              • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriessinisa20 Jul
            • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriesMichael Hase19 Jul
              • Saving & Loading Images...Nolberto Rojas Gil19 Jul
                • Saving & Loading Images...sinisa20 Jul