List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 19 1999 1:37pm
Subject:Re: Followup on symlinking database directories
View as plain text
>Paul DuBois writes:
> > This is a followup on the recent discussion about moving a database
> > directory out of the data directory and then putting a symlink to
> > the new location in the data directory.
> >
> > There *is* one problem with this that I forgot about.  There is
> > no problem using the database, but in pre-3.23 versions of MySQL,
> > if you execute DROP DATABASE, MySQL will remove all the files in the
> > database, then give an error when it tries to remove the database
> > directory.  This fails because the "directory" is really a symlink.
> > You must fix things up manually yourself.
> >
> > This problem is fixed in MySQL 3.23.
> >
> > Fix for pre-3.23 MySQL: don't drop the database. :-)
>
>Paul my friend,
>

>Who said to use symlinks. Use links ....

Sinisa, the entire discussion was about symlinks.  Can you explain what
you mean "use links"?  It is inadvisable to hard link a directory, only
root can do that anyway, and what would this gain you over a symlink?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
        • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriesPaul DuBois19 Jul
          • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriessinisa19 Jul
            • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriesPaul DuBois19 Jul
              • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriessinisa20 Jul
            • Re: Followup on symlinking database directoriesMichael Hase19 Jul
              • Saving & Loading Images...Nolberto Rojas Gil19 Jul
                • Saving & Loading Images...sinisa20 Jul