List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 19 1999 3:52am
Subject:Re: surviving the Slashdot effect
View as plain text
Antony T Curtis wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 22:25:40 -0700, James Rogers wrote:
>

> >Just to throw my two cents in, I have been hacking MySQL.  I am working on
> >porting MySQL to a new database kernel (actually, an existing one that I
> >currently develop on) that will add a lot of scalability features that I
> >could personally use.  Among the ways I make money, I write custom database
> >engines so this isn't exactly new territory for me.  I really like the
> >top-end to MySQL; it rocks and sports a lot of interesting and useful
> >features.  Given a more scalable back-end I would use MySQL for more than I
> >currently do, a situation I am working on.  I know a lot of other people
> >who like MySQL, but who have run into similar scalability issues that are
> >forcing them to use other databases.  If these get fixed, I believe the
> >user base will expand rapidly.
>
> It would appear that my job will require me to hack an SQL server to be
> able to access their legacy database system... Out of personal
> preference, I've chosen MySQL... Are there any caveats I should be
> aware of? The OS is AIX 4.3.2
>
> BTW, I am still planning on releasing updated OS/2 binaries soon...
>
> Regards
>
>         Antony.

Not exactly sure about all the details of your project, but if it is
what I think it is, importing the data from a legacy database - there is
a simpler solution than hacking an SQL server. Just write a program to
read the data in the tables and export it to a comma-delimited file.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com
Thread
surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael R. Gile12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSrfRoG12 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAdam Powell12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectOrlando Andico12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers13 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson13 Jul
      • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
          • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael Widenius30 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectT├Ánu Samuel14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers14 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway15 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDarrell Shifflett15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson17 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effect (headed slightly off topic)\"Terrence W. Zellers\"18 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAntony T Curtis19 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev19 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway19 Jul