List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 15 2001 12:30am
Subject:Re: auto_increment "update"
View as plain text
At 1:36 AM +0200 6/15/01, Sven Huster wrote:
>Hi there
>
>can i somehow easily recreate the auto_increment col if is was not
>correctly set?
>i just recognized that most rows contain "1" cause the primary key was
>set
>on the auto_increment col + another one.
>so mysql only creates a entry > 1 if the other field was equal to
>another row.

Well, that's what's supposed to happen if you have a primary key
or unique key on multiple columns where the last column is an
AUTO_INCREMENT value.  If you want your AUTO_INCREMENT column
to have unique values for each row, then you could drop that
index and set up a PRIMARY KEY on just the AUTO_INCREMENT column.

Actually, I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, so I'm
just guessing.  If that doesn't answer your question, please
clarify.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread