List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 18 1999 12:50am
Subject:Re: Null columns in indexes
View as plain text
>I get an error message when trying to include a column in an index when
>the column allows nulls. Is is true that in order for a column to
>participate in an index it has to be marked  NOT NULL? Why?

Yes.  This limitation will be removed in the 3.23 series, although it
doesn't seem to have happened yet.

>What's the workaround, when you want an index on (lastname, firstname),
>but you don't know a person's firstname?

Use an empty string?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
    • Re: how to emulate "cursors"Vivek Khera14 Jul
      • Re: how to emulate "cursors"Orlando Andico14 Jul
  • Null columns in indexesChris Cleveland18 Jul
    • Re: Null columns in indexesPaul DuBois18 Jul
  • how to emulate "cursors"Michael Widenius30 Jul