List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 17 1999 5:02pm
Subject:Re: How do you restrict access from a client
View as plain text
At 11:16 AM -0500 7/17/99, Joel Shellman wrote:
>I want to write a client for multiple users that can access the same
>database. They have to be able to read and write on the same table. Is there
>anyway to make it so that a given user can only update his own information?

Not unless each user's information is in a separate column (which would be
kind of goofy).  MySQL has database-, table-, and column-level privileges,
but not row-level.

On the other hand, if all user access is through your application, you
can give the application complete access to the table and restrict
user access to specific rows using application-level logic.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread