List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 17 1999 4:14am
Subject:Re: MySQL SELECT Query Question
View as plain text
At 11:56 PM -0400 7/16/99, Charles Kirby wrote:
>I guess the real question that begs to be answered here is this...
>How can
>"SELECT * from friends where car like '%vol%' and starsign like '%'"
>retrieve only one record??  (Instead of the--obviously--two records).
>
>This must mean that "%" (in front of "vol") cannot have a zero-character
>value... it must mean it's a wildcard for "1 or more characters."
>
>Is this true?

No.  "%" means zero or more characters.  However, it won't match NULL.
So, writing something like:

	WHERE col_name LIKE "%"

is equivalent to

	WHERE col_name IS NOT NULL

I still don't understand the original question, though. :-)

>ck
>
>On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Paul DuBois wrote:
>
>> At 12:42 AM +0100 7/17/99, Robert W. Castley @ Home wrote:
>> >HI,
>> >
>> >I hope some one out there can help me with a little problem :-
>> >

>> >Scenario :-
>> >
>> >Example ....
>> >
>> >I have a database in MySQL with the following example fields and example
>> >data in database test, tablename friends:-
>> >
>> >NAME               STARSIGN        CAR        NICKNAME
>> >robert                aquarius             volvo        bob
>> >richard                                          audi         dick
>> >edward             aries                                    ted
>> >christopher                                   volvo
>> >
>> >Now when you issue SELECT * from friends I would retrieve 4 records.
>> >
>> >robert,aquarius,volvo,bob
>> >richard,NULL,audi,dick
>> >edward,aries,NULL,ted
>> >christopher,NULL,volvo,NULL
>> >
>> >If I issue SELECT * from friends where car = 'volvo' I would retrieve 2
>> >records.
>> >
>> >robert,aquarius,volvo,bob
>> >christopher,NULL,volvo,NULL
>> >
>> >However if I issue SELECT * from friends where car like '%vol%' and
>>starsign
>> >like '%' I would retrieve only one record
>> >
>> >robert,aquarius,volvo,bob
>> >

>> >Question :-
>> >
>> >How can I create my last SELECT statement above to retrieve the two records
>> >that have the CAR = volvo ?
>> >
>> >Any help or information would gratefully be recieved,
>>
>> I've seen the replies to this message, and I'm wondering what I'm
>> missing here:
>>
>> Your second query does what you want, so ...
>> Why are you asking how to do what you want?
>>
>> --
>> Paul DuBois, paul@stripped

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
MySQL SELECT Query QuestionRobert W. Castley @ Home17 Jul
  • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionWayne Topa17 Jul
    • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionWayne Topa17 Jul
  • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionPaul DuBois17 Jul
    • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionCharles Kirby17 Jul
      • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionPaul DuBois17 Jul
      • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionFred Read18 Jul
  • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionPat Sherrill17 Jul
  • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionJim Faucette17 Jul
    • Re: MySQL SELECT Query QuestionMartin Ramsch4 Aug