List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 16 1999 4:23pm
Subject:Re: Needing information
View as plain text
Laurent PIERRE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new on the list. I found the benchmarks results that are on the mysql
> site, and would like to ask some questions to the people who did them.
>
> If you could send me their email address, I would be very grateful.
>
> Laurent.

Laurent:

Remeber that the purpose of many honest benchmarks is to entertain the
person who wrote them :-)  Sometimes they are written to prove that
product A is better than product B, those are Mindcraft-type benchmarks
:-) Very often a slight tweak in the system may tip the benchmarked
performance quite a bit one way or the other.

The best way to get an idea whether a certain configuration is good for
you or not is to build a simple system that will do operations similar
to your target system under similar conditions and measure the
performance yourself. The is often not an easy job, and does require
creativity, but it is fun!

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)