List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 16 1999 4:12pm
Subject:Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?
View as plain text
Chris Cleveland wrote:

> sinisa@stripped wrote:
>
> > There is a very simple workaround for this: symbolic links.
>
> I hate to ask this question, but what's a symbolic link? The documentation
> mentions it only briefly. I'm guessing it's a Unix thing.  (I use NT, but expect
> to see the light and move to Linux soon). Is there a way to put a database in a
> different directory under NT?

When you see the light (install Linux), you will know what a symbolic
link is as well as you know how to shut down NT  :-) Simbolic link is a
way to have an alias for a file or a directory somewhere else on the
filesystem.

> Second question: the install program puts MySQL in c:\mysql by default, and
> doesn't give you a choice about where else to put it. Are there any docs that
> explain what you have to change in order to move it to d:\mysql? A simple copy
> doesn't do it. Evidently there is something in the \mysql\data\mysql database.

I'd say don't worry about this and install Linux.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Anna Winkler15 Jul
  • transfer from MS SQL to MySQL?Hawke Robinson15 Jul
    • RE: transfer from MS SQL to MySQL?Tupshin Harper16 Jul
  • Can databases be stored in multiple directories?sinisa16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Chris Cleveland16 Jul
    • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?sinisa16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Sasha Pachev16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
  • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Andy Frankford16 Jul
    • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Fraser MacKenzie16 Jul
    • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
    • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?David Wall16 Jul
      • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?J. Kochevar16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Derick H Siddoway16 Jul