List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 16 1999 3:01pm
Subject:Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?
View as plain text
At 6:44 PM -0400 7/15/99, J. Kochevar wrote:
>I am new to mysql but this seems very restrictive.  Does this mean that
>anybody with access to mysql on a particular machine, has access to all
>user's databases on that machine?

By "mysql" do you mean the mysql command-line client, or the entire MySQL
DBMS?  If the former, the answer is no.  If the latter, then sure, someone
with an account on the server host with sufficient file privileges has
access to all database files.

>Why not use a scheme similar to that of Informix.  Assuming Unix: Create a
>user and group to which the only member is mysql (run the server as user
>mysql).  Make the group of your database files mysql, then you can give the
>mysql server access to your files by making them read/write to you and the
>mysql group (660).

It already works that way.  Except that you don't need to enable group access,
you can make database directories mode 700 and database files mode 600.

>Jon Kochevar
>koch9@stripped
>
>----------
>> From: Paul DuBois <paul@stripped>
>> To: Anna Winkler <awinkler@stripped>; MYSQL List
> <mysql@stripped>
>> Subject: Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?
>> Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 5:11 PM
>>
>> At 1:58 PM -0600 7/15/99, Anna Winkler wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I'm a new user to MySQL and databases in general.  I'd like to know if
>the
>> >grant tables exist in /usr/local/mysql/var and other databases exist in
>> >another, user-defined directory?  Currently all of my databases are in
>> >/usr/local/mysql/var, but I'd like to create databases that exist in
>> >different directories (like ~myhome/new_dbase_dir).
>>
>> You can put a database directory wherever you want.
>> If it's not under the MySQL data directory, though,
>> you need to put a symlink to the real location in
>> the data directory.
>>
>> Also, remember that everything in your database directory needs to
>> be read/write to user that the server runs as.  If your reason
>> for asking the question was that you want to make database files
>> private to yourself, you can't do it.  (Well, you *could* do it,
>> if the server runs as root, but that's a bad idea.)
>>

>> --
>> Paul DuBois, paul@stripped

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Anna Winkler15 Jul
  • transfer from MS SQL to MySQL?Hawke Robinson15 Jul
    • RE: transfer from MS SQL to MySQL?Tupshin Harper16 Jul
  • Can databases be stored in multiple directories?sinisa16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Chris Cleveland16 Jul
    • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?sinisa16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Sasha Pachev16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
  • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Andy Frankford16 Jul
    • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Fraser MacKenzie16 Jul
    • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
    • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?David Wall16 Jul
      • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?J. Kochevar16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Derick H Siddoway16 Jul