List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 15 1999 9:41pm
Subject:RE: Unintentional DELETE FROM!
View as plain text
At 4:39 PM -0400 7/15/99, Dan Ray wrote:
>Sasha et al--
>
>> When specify they value of a CHAR column, make sure put it in quotes =
>> '00'
>
>Right, I got that. I mean, I knew it, but when I typed it my fingers forgot
>about it.

I would say that the behavior you've observed is a result of MySQL's
comparison rules:

Comparison operations result in a value of `1' (TRUE), `0' (FALSE) or
`NULL'. These functions work for both numbers and strings.  Strings are
automatically converted to numbers and numbers to strings as needed (as
in Perl).

*MySQL* performs comparisons using the following rules:

   * If one or both arguments are `NULL', the result of the comparison
     is `NULL'.

   * If both arguments in a comparison operation are strings, they are
     compared as strings.

   * If both arguments are integers, they are compared as integers.

   * If one of the arguments is a `TIMESTAMP' or `DATETIME' column and
     the other argument is a constant, the constant is converted to a
     timestamp before the comparison is performed. This is done to be
     more ODBC-friendly.

   * In all other cases, the arguments are compared as floating-point
     (real) numbers

>Does that mean that any value in a char column equals numeric zero? That's a
>little harsh on folks who forget the quotes like this, doncha think?

You could say that.  On the other hand, it's also a good idea to try out
a WHERE clause using a SELECT first to see what it selects...

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread