List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kingsley Wright Date:March 21 1999 11:00pm
Subject:Re: Problems with MySQL Linux init.d startup
View as plain text
The only thing that is called after the mysql script is the rc.local script
which does nothing more than change /etc/issue and set the prompt.

I tried, just for kicks, putting the mysql after rc,local, making it
absolutely last and it had no effect.

From what I gather, looking at the script, it is looking to get a "datadir"
path from a config file.  I looks for either /etc/my.cnf or $HOME/.my.cnf in
that order.   I have no such file in either directory.

I do, however, have a /root/.my.cnf but it only contains my password for
fast logons. no datadir path is being set here.  As I said in my original
post, once I am logged into the Linux box as root, I can run the *same*
script from the /etc/init.d directory and it works!  What gives?

I am not sure what you mean by "right options."  If the script is working as
root, why not during init?  Is there a permissioning problem here, I seen no
messages anywhere to that effect if is?  The system boots into multimuser
mode (run level 3) so that is not the issue..

Can anyone help me out here?  Has anyone else ever had this problem?