List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 15 1999 9:11pm
Subject:Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?
View as plain text
At 1:58 PM -0600 7/15/99, Anna Winkler wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a new user to MySQL and databases in general.  I'd like to know if the
>grant tables exist in /usr/local/mysql/var and other databases exist in
>another, user-defined directory?  Currently all of my databases are in
>/usr/local/mysql/var, but I'd like to create databases that exist in
>different directories (like ~myhome/new_dbase_dir).

You can put a database directory wherever you want.
If it's not under the MySQL data directory, though,
you need to put a symlink to the real location in
the data directory.

Also, remember that everything in your database directory needs to
be read/write to user that the server runs as.  If your reason
for asking the question was that you want to make database files
private to yourself, you can't do it.  (Well, you *could* do it,
if the server runs as root, but that's a bad idea.)

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Anna Winkler15 Jul
  • transfer from MS SQL to MySQL?Hawke Robinson15 Jul
    • RE: transfer from MS SQL to MySQL?Tupshin Harper16 Jul
  • Can databases be stored in multiple directories?sinisa16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Chris Cleveland16 Jul
    • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?sinisa16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Sasha Pachev16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
  • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Andy Frankford16 Jul
    • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Fraser MacKenzie16 Jul
    • RE: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
    • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?David Wall16 Jul
      • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?J. Kochevar16 Jul
  • Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Paul DuBois16 Jul
Re: Can databases be stored in multiple directories?Derick H Siddoway16 Jul