List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Isabelle Poueriet Date:March 21 1999 9:45pm
Subject:problems with "make install" - Installing mysql in Linux
View as plain text
Here is the description of my problem:
First I run the configure script.

Next, I run the script "mysql_install_db.sh".  This will intall the
grant tables for mysql.  This has to be done when installing mysql for the
first time.

So I run "mysql_install_db" and I get this message:
Didn't find /usr/people/b/bella/mysql/libexec/mysqld
You should do a 'make install' before executing this script

So I do a 'make install' and I get this:

Making install in Docs
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/mysql-3.22.19b/Docs'
/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/people/b/bella/mysql/info
 /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 ./mysql.info
/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/info/mysql.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/mysql-3.22.19b/Docs'
Making install in readline
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/mysql-3.22.19b/readline'
/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/people/b/bella/mysql/include/mysql
 /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 readline.h
/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/include/mysqlh
 /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 chardefs.h
/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/include/mysqlh
 /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 keymaps.h
/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/include/mysql/h
 /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 history.h
/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/include/mysql/h
 /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 tilde.h
/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/include/mysql/tih
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/mysql-3.22.19b/readline'
Making install in client
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/mysql-3.22.19b/client'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `my_init.c', needed by `my_init.lo'.
Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/people/b/bella/mysql/mysql-3.22.19b/client'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

So make install fails when it tries to make install in the client
directory.  The Makefile in the client directory is attached to this
e-mail. I know that somehow I have to specify a rule for my_init.c but how
am I supposed to know what my_init.c is supposed to do or what files
my_init.c may depend on?

Please help.  I have read the README, INSTALL, and manuals on the web but
there is no mention about problems with mysql_install_db.sh or problems
with 'make install'.

Any other sources where I can get help?

Thanks in advance.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Isabelle Poueriet   |
| bella@stripped      |
| http://www.bway.net |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a release of MySQL, a basically free SQL database server (more
licence information in the PUBLIC file and in the reference manual).

Please read the Upgrading section in the manual if emigration from
3.20.# to 3.21.#. Otherwise it wont work!!

The latest information about MySQL can be found at: http://www.tcx.se

To see what it can do take a look at the features section in the
manual.

For installation instructions see the Installation chapter in the
manual.

For future plans see the TODO appendix in the manual.

New features/bug fixes history is in the news appendix in the manual.

For the currently known bugs/misfeatures (known errors) see the bugs
appendix in the manual.

For examples of SQL and benchmarking information see the bench
directory.

The manual mentioned above can be found in the Docs directory. The
manual is available in the following formats: as text in
Docs/manual.txt, as HTML in Docs/manual_toc.html, as GNU Info in
Docs/mysql.info and as PostScript in Docs/manual.ps.

For a contributed user manual see http://www.turbolift.com/mysql.

MySQL is brought to you by: Michael (Monty) Widenius at TcX
DataKonsult AB.

For the other contributors see the Credits appendix in the manual.

Please use the 'mysqlbug' script when posting bug reports or questions
about MySQL. mysqlbug will gather some information about your system
and start your editor with a form in which you can describe your
problem. Bug reports might be silently ignored by the MySQL
maintainers if there is not a good reason included in the report as to
why mysqlbug has not been used. A report that says 'MySQL does not
work for me. Why?' is not consider a valid bug report.

The mysqlbug script can be found in the 'scripts' directory in the
distribution, that is 'there-you-installed-mysql/scripts'.
Installing *MySQL*
******************

* Menu:

* Getting MySQL::               How to get *MySQL*
* Which OS::                    Operating systems supported by *MySQL*
* Which version::               Which *MySQL* version to use
* Many versions::               How and when updates are released
* Installation layouts::        Installation layouts
* Installing binary::           Installing a *MySQL* binary distribution
* Installing source::           Installing a *MySQL* source distribution
* Compilation problems::        Problems compiling?
* MIT-pthreads::                MIT-pthreads notes
* Perl support::                Perl installation comments
* Source install system issues::  System-specific issues
* Win32::                       Win32 notes
* OS/2::                        OS/2 notes
* TcX binaries::                TcX binaries
* Post-installation::           Post-installation setup and testing
* Upgrade::                     Is there anything special to do when upgrading/downgrading *MySQL*?

This chapter describes how to obtain and install *MySQL*:

   * For a list of sites from which you can obtain *MySQL*, see *Note
     Getting *MySQL*: Getting MySQL.

   * To see which platforms are supported, see *Note Which OS::.

   * Several versions of *MySQL* are available, in both binary and
     source distributions.  To determine which version and type of
     distribution you should use, see *Note Many versions::.

   * Installation instructions for binary and source distributions are
     described in *Note Installing binary::, and *Note Installing
     source::.  Each set of instructions includes a section on
     system-specific problems you may run into.

   * For post-installation procedures, see *Note Post-installation::.
     These procedures apply whether you install *MySQL* using a binary
     or source distribution.

How to get *MySQL*
==================

Check the *MySQL* home page (http://www.mysql.com/) for information
about the current version and for downloading instructions.

However, the Internet connection at TcX is not so fast; we would
*prefer* that you do the actual downloading from one of the mirror sites
listed below.

Please report bad or out of date mirrors to <webmaster@mysql.com>.

*Europe:*

   *  Austria [Univ. of Technology/Vienna]
     WWW (http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/db/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/db/mysql/)

   *  Bulgaria [Naturella]   FTP (ftp://ftp.ntrl.net/pub/mirror/mysql)

   *  Denmark [Ake]   WWW (http://mysql.ake.dk)

   *  Denmark [SunSITE]   WWW (http://SunSITE.auc.dk/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://SunSITE.auc.dk/pub/databases/mysql/)

   *  Estonia [Tradenet]   WWW (http://mysql.tradenet.ee)

   *  Finland [EUnet]  WWW (http://mysql.eunet.fi/)

   *  Germany [Bonn University, Bonn]
     WWW (http://www.wipol.uni-bonn.de/MySQL//)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.wipol.uni-bonn.de/pub/mirror/MySQL/)

   *  Germany [Wolfenbuettel]
     WWW (http://www.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/ftp/pub/database/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/pub/database/mysql/)

   *  Germany [Staufen]   WWW (http://mysql.staufen.de/)

   *  Greece [NTUA, Athens]   WWW (http://www.ntua.gr/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/databases/mysql/)

   *  Hungary [Xenia]
     WWW (http://xenia.sote.hu/ftp/mirrors/www.mysql.com-mysql/)

   *  Israel [Netvision]   WWW (http://mysql.netvision.net.il/)

   *  Italy [Matrice]   WWW (http://www.matrice.it/risorse/mysql/)

   *  Italy [Teta Srl]   WWW (http://www.teta.it/mysql/)

   *  Poland [Sunsite]   WWW (http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/unix/mysql/)

   *  Portugal [lerianet]   WWW (http://http://mysql.leirianet.pt)

   *  Russia [DirectNet]   WWW (http://mysql.directnet.ru)

   *  Romania [Timisoara]   WWW (http://www.dnttm.ro/mysql)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.dnttm.ro/pub/mysql)

   *  Romania [Bucharest]   WWW (http://www.lbi.ro/MySQL)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.lbi.ro/mirrors/ftp.tcx.se)

   *  Sweden [Sunet]
     WWW (http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/unix/databases/relational/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/unix/databases/relational/mysql/)

   *  UK [Omnipotent/UK]   WWW (http://mysql.omnipotent.net/)
     FTP (ftp://mysql.omnipotent.net/)

   *  UK [PLiG/UK]   WWW (http://ftp.plig.org/pub/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.plig.org/pub/mysql/)

   *  UK [SunSITE]  WWW (http://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mysql/)

   *  Ukraine [PACO]  WWW (http://mysql.paco.net.ua)
     FTP (ftp://mysql.paco.net.ua/)

*North America:*

   *  Canada [Tryc]   WWW (http://web.tryc.on.ca/mysql/)

   *  USA [Hurricane Electric/San Jose]   WWW (http://mysql.he.net)

   *  USA [Buoy/New York]   WWW (http://www.buoy.com/mysql/)

   *  USA [Netcasting/West Coast]
     FTP (ftp://ftp.netcasting.net/pub/mysql/)

   *  USA [Circle Net/North Carolina]   WWW (http://www.mysql.net)

   *  USA [Gina net/Florida]   WWW (http://www.gina.net/mysql/)

   *  USA [DIGEX]   FTP (ftp://ftp.digex.net/pub/database/mysql/index.html)

*South America:*

   *  Chile [vision]   `http://mysql.vision.cl/'

   *  Chile [Amerikanclaris]   WWW (http://www.labs.amerikanclaris.cl/mysql) FTP (ftp://ftp.amerikanclaris.cl/pub/mysql)

*Asia:*

   *  Korea [KREONet]   WWW (http://linux.kreonet.re.kr/mysql/)

   *  Japan [Soft Agency]   WWW (http://www.softagency.co.jp/MySQL)

   *  Japan [Nagoya Syouka University]
     WWW (http://www.happysize.co.jp/mysql/)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.happysize.co.jp/pub/mysql/)

   *  Japan [HappySize]   WWW (http://mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/mysql)
     FTP (ftp://mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/mysql)

   *  Singapore [Com5 Productions]   WWW (http://mysql.com5.net)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.com5.net/pub/mysql)

   *  Taiwan [NCTU]   WWW (http://mysql.taconet.com.tw)

   *  Taiwan [TTN]   WWW (http://mysql.ttn.net)

*Australia:*

   *  Australia [AARNet/Queensland]
     WWW (http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/mysql)
     FTP (ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/mysql)

   *  Australia [Tas]   WWW (http://ftp.tas.gov.au/mysql)
     FTP (ftp://ftp.tas.gov.au/pub/mysql)

   *  Australia [Blue Planet/Melbourne]   WWW (http://mysql.bluep.com/)
     FTP (ftp://mysql.bluep.com/pub/mirror1/mysql/)

*Africa:*

   *  South-Africa [The Internet Solution/Johannesburg]
     FTP (ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/mysql/)

   *  South-Africa [Mweb/]   WWW (http://www.mysql.mweb.co.za)

Operating systems supported by *MySQL*
======================================

We use GNU Autoconf so it is possible to port *MySQL* to all modern
systems with working Posix threads and a C++ compiler. (To compile only
the client code, a C++ compiler is required but not threads.)  We use
and develop the software ourselves primarily on Sun Solaris (versions
2.5 & 2.6) and to a lesser extent on RedHat Linux 5.0.

*MySQL* has been reported to compile sucessfully on the following
operating system/thread package combinations.  Note that for many
operating systems, the native thread support works only in the latest
versions.

   * Solaris 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 with native threads on SPARC and x86

   * SunOS 4.x with the included MIT-pthreads package

   * BSDI 2.x with the included MIT-pthreads package

   * BSDI 3.0 and 3.1 with native threads

   * SGI Irix 6.x with native threads

   * AIX 4.x with native threads

   * DEC UNIX 4.x with native threads

   * Linux 2.0+ with LinuxThreads 0.7.1 or `glibc' 2.0.7

   * FreeBSD 2.x with the included MIT-pthreads package

   * FreeBSD 3.x with native threads

   * SCO OpenServer with a recent port of the FSU Pthreads package

   * SCO UnixWare 7.0.1

   * NetBSD 1.3 Intel and NetBSD 1.3 Alpha

   * OpenBSD 2.x with the included MIT-pthreads package

   * HP-UX 10.20 with the included MIT-pthreads package

   * Win95 and NT (the newest version is currently available only for
     users with a *MySQL* license or *MySQL* email support).  For those
     who wish to test before they buy, we have released
     *MySQL* 3.21.29 (http://www.mysql.com/mysql_w32.htmy) (an older
     version) as shareware.

   * OS/2 Warp 3, FixPack 29 and OS/2 Warp 4, FixPack 4

Which *MySQL* version to use
============================

The first decision to make is whether you want to use the latest
development release or the last stable release:

   * Normally, if you are beginning to use *MySQL* for the first time or
     trying to port it to some system for which there is no binary
     distribution, we recommend going with the development release
     (currently 3.22.x). This is because there are usually no really
     serious bugs in the development release, and you can easily test
     it on your machine with the `crash-me' and benchmark tests.  *Note
     Benchmarks::.

   * Otherwise, if you are running an old system and want to upgrade,
     but don't want to take chances with 3.22, you should upgrade to
     3.21.33.  We have tried to fix only fatal bugs and make small,
     relatively safe changes to that version.

The second decision to make is whether you want to use a source
distribution or a binary distribution:

   * If you want to run *MySQL* on a platform for which a current binary
     distribution exists, use that.  Generally, it will be easier to
     install than a source distribution.

   * If you want to read (and/or modify) the C and C++ code that makes
     up *MySQL*, you should get a source distribution. The source code
     is always the ultimate manual. Source distributions also contain
     more tests and examples than binary distributions.

The *MySQL* naming scheme uses release numbers that consist of three
numbers and a suffix.  For example, a release name like
`mysql-3.21.17-beta' is interpreted like this:

   * The first number (`3') describes the file format.  All version 3
     releases have the same file format. When a version 4 appears, every
     table will have to be converted to the new format (nice tools for
     this will be included, of course).

   * The second number (`21') is the release level. Normally there are
     two to choose from. One is the release/stable branch (currently
     `21') and the other is the development branch (currently `22') .
     Normally both are stable, but the development version may have
     quirks, missing documentation on new features or may fail to
     compile on some systems.

   * The third number (`17') is the version number within the release
     level. This is incremented for each new distribution. Usually you
     want the latest version for the release level you have choosen.

   * The suffix (`beta') indicates the stability level of the release.
     The possible suffixes are:

        - `alpha' indicates that the release contains some large
          section of new code that hasn't been 100% tested.  Known bugs
          (usually there are none) should be documented in the News
          section.  *Note News::.  There are also new commands and
          extensions in most alpha releases.

        - `beta' means that all new code has been tested. No major new
          features were added. There should be no known bugs.

        - `gamma' is a beta that has been around a while and seems to
          work fine.  This is what many other companies call a release.

        - If there is no suffix, it means that the version has been run
          for a while at many different sites with no reports of bugs
          other than platform-specific bugs.  This is what we call a
          stable release.

All versions of *MySQL* are run through our standard tests and
benchmarks to ensure that they are relatively safe to use.  Since the
standard tests are extended over time to check for all previously found
bugs, the test suite keeps getting better.

Note that all releases have been tested at least with:

An internal test suite
     This is part of a production system for a customer. It has many
     tables with hundreds of megabytes of data.

The *MySQL* benchmark suite
     This runs a range of common queries. It is also a test to see
     whether the latest batch of optimizations actually made the code
     faster.  *Note Benchmarks::.

The `crash-me' test
     This tries to determine what features the database supports and
     what its capabilities and limitations are.  *Note Benchmarks::.

Another test is that we use the newest *MySQL* version in our internal
production environment, on at least one machine.  We have more than 100
gigabytes of data to work with.

How and when updates are released
=================================

*MySQL* is evolving quite rapidly here at TcX and we want to share this
with other *MySQL* users. We try to make a release when we have very
useful features that others seem to have a need for.

We also try to help out users who request features that are easy to
implement. We also take note of what our licensed users want to have and
we especially take note of what our extended email supported customers
want and try to help them out.

No one has to download a new release. The News section will tell you if
the new release has something you really want. *Note News::.

We use the following policy when updating *MySQL*:

   * For each minor update, the last number in the version string is
     incremented.  When there are major new features or minor
     incompatibilities with previous versions, the second number in the
     version string is incremented. When the file format changes, the
     first number is increased.

   * Stable tested releases are meant to appear about 1-2 times a year,
     but if small bugs are found, a release with only bug-fixes will be
     released.

   * Working releases are meant to appear about every 1-8 weeks.

   * Binary distributions for some platforms will be made by us for
     major releases.  Other people may make binary distributions for
     other systems but probably less frequently.

   * We usually make patches available as soon as we have located and
     fixed small bugs.

   * For non-critical but annoying bugs, we will make patches available
     if they are sent to us. Otherwise we will combine many of them
     into a larger patch.

   * If there is, by any chance, a fatal bug in a release we will make
     a new release as soon as possible. We would like other companies
     to do this, too. :)

The current stable release is 3.22; We have already moved active
development to 3.23. Bugs will still be fixed in the stable version. We
don't believe in a complete freeze, as this also leaves out bug fixes
and things that "must be done". "Somewhat frozen" means that we may add
small things that "almost surely will not affect anything that's
already working".

Installation layouts
====================

This section describes the default layout of the directories created by
installing binary and source distributions.

A binary distribution is installed by unpacking it at the installation
location you choose (typically `/usr/local/mysql') and creates the
following directories in that location:

*Directory*            *Contents of directory*
`bin'                  Client programs and the `mysqld' server
`data'                 Log files, databases
`include'              Include (header) files
`lib'                  Libraries
`scripts'              `mysql_install_db'
`share/mysql'          Error message files
`sql-bench'            Benchmarks

A source distribution is installed after you configure and compile it.
By default, the installation step installs files under `/usr/local', in
the following subdirectories:

*Directory*            *Contents of directory*
`bin'                  Client programs and scripts
`include/mysql'        Include (header) files
`info'                 Documentation in Info format
`lib/mysql'            Libraries
`libexec'              The `mysqld' server
`share/mysql'          Error message files
`sql-bench'            Benchmarks and `crash-me' test
`var'                  Databases and log files.

Within an installation directory, the layout of a source installation
differs from that of a binary installation in the following ways:

   * The `mysqld' server is installed in the `libexec' directory rather
     than in the `bin' directory.

   * The data directory is `var' rather than `data'.

   * `mysql_install_db' is installed in the `/usr/local/bin' directory
     rather than in `/usr/local/mysql/scripts'.

   * The header file and library directories are `include/mysql' and
     `lib/mysql' rather than `include' and `lib'.

Installing a *MySQL* binary distribution

* Menu:

* Building clients::            Building client programs
* Binary install system issues::  System-specific issues

You need the following tools to install a *MySQL* binary distribution:

   * GNU `gunzip' to uncompress the distribution.

   * A reasonable `tar' to unpack the distribution. GNU `tar' is known
     to work.

An alternative installation method under Linux is to use RPM (RedHat
Package Manager) distributions. *Note Linux-RPM::.

If you run into problems, *PLEASE ALWAYS USE* `mysqlbug' when posting
questions to <mysql@tcx.se>.  Even if the problem isn't a bug,
`mysqlbug' gathers system information that will help others solve your
problem.  By not using `mysqlbug', you lessen the likelihood of getting
a solution to your problem!  You will find `mysqlbug' in the `bin'
directory after you unpack the distribution.  *Note Bug reports::.

The basic commands you must execute to install and use a *MySQL* binary
distribution are:

     shell> gunzip < mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     shell> ln -s mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
     shell> cd mysql
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> bin/safe_mysqld &

You can add new users using the `bin/mysql_setpermission' script if you
install the `DBI' and `Msql-Mysql-modules' Perl modules.

Here follows a more detailed description:

To install a binary distribution, follow the steps below, then proceed
to *Note Post-installation::, for post-installation setup and testing:

  1. Pick the directory under which you want to unpack the
     distribution, and move into it.  In the example below, we unpack
     the distribution under `/usr/local' and create a directory
     `/usr/local/mysql' into which *MySQL* is installed.  (The
     following instructions therefore assume you have permission to
     create files in `/usr/local'.  If that directory is protected, you
     will need to perform the installation as `root'.)

  2. Obtain a distribution file from one of the sites listed in *Note
     Getting *MySQL*: Getting MySQL.

     *MySQL* binary distributions are provided as compressed `tar'
     archives and have names like `mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz', where
     `VERSION' is a number (e.g., `3.21.15'), and `OS' indicates the
     type of operating system for which the distribution is intended
     (e.g., `pc-linux-gnu-i586').

  3. Unpack the distribution and create the installation directory:

          shell> gunzip < mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
          shell> ln -s mysql-VERSION-OS mysql

     The first command creates a directory named `mysql-VERSION-OS'.
     The second command makes a symbolic link to that directory.  This
     lets you refer more easily to the installation directory as
     `/usr/local/mysql'.

  4. Change into the installation directory:

          shell> cd mysql

     You will find several files and subdirectories in the `mysql'
     directory.  The most important for installation purposes are the
     `bin' and `scripts' subdirectories.

    `bin'
          This directory contains client programs and the server You
          should add the full pathname of this directory to your `PATH'
          environment variable so that your shell finds the *MySQL*
          programs properly.

    `scripts'
          This directory contains the `mysql_install_db' script used to
          initialize the server access permissions.

  5. If you would like to use `mysqlaccess' and have the *MySQL*
     distribution in some nonstandard place, you must change the
     location where `mysqlaccess' expects to find the `mysql' client.
     Edit the `bin/mysqlaccess' script at approximately line 18. Search
     for a line that looks like this:

          $MYSQL     = '/usr/local/bin/mysql';    # path to mysql executable

     Change the path to reflect the location where `mysql' actually is
     stored on your system.  If you do not do this, you will get a
     `broken pipe' error when you run `mysqlaccess'.

  6. Create the *MySQL* grant tables (necessary only if you haven't
     installed *MySQL* before):
          shell> scripts/mysql_install_db

  7. If you want to install support for the Perl `DBI'/`DBD' interface,
     see *Note Perl support::.

  8. If you would like *MySQL* to start automatically when you boot your
     machine, you can copy `support-files/mysql.server' to the location
     where your system has its startup files. More information can be
     found in the `support-files/mysql.server' script itself, and in
     *Note Automatic start::.

After everything has been unpacked and installed, you should initialize
and test your distribution.

You can start the *MySQL* server with the following command:

     shell> bin/safe_mysqld &

Note that *MySQL* versions before 3.22.10 started the *MySQL* server
when you run `mysql_install_db'.  This is no longer true!

*Note Post-installation::.

Building client programs
------------------------

If you compile *MySQL* clients that you've written yourself or that you
obtain from a third party, they must be linked using the
`-lmysqlclient' option on the link command.  You may also need to
specify a `-L' option to tell the linker where to find the library.  For
example, if the library is installed in `/usr/local/mysql/lib', use
`-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient' on the link command.

For clients that use *MySQL* header files, you may need to specify a
`-I' option when you compile them (for example,
`-I/usr/local/mysql/include'), so the compiler can find the header
files.

System-specific issues
----------------------

* Menu:

* Binary notes-Linux::          Linux notes
* Binary notes-HP-UX::          HP-UX notes

The following sections indicate some of the issues that have been
observed to occur on particular systems when installing *MySQL* from a
binary distribution.

Linux notes

*MySQL* needs at least Linux 2.0.

The binary release is linked with `-static', which means you need not
worry about which version of the system libraries you have. You need
not install LinuxThreads, either.  A program linked with `-static' is
slightly bigger than a dynamically-linked program but also slightly
faster (3-5%).  The only problem is that you can't use user definable
functions (UDFs) with a statically-linked program.  If you are going to
write or use UDF functions (this is something only for C or C++
programmers) you must compile *MySQL* yourself, using dynamic linking.

The Linux-Intel binary release (and RPM) of *MySQL* is configured for
the highest possible speed. We are always trying to use the fastest
stable compiler available.

*MySQL* Perl support requires Perl 5.004_03 or newer.

If you get the following error message with a binary distribution when
you run `mysql_install_db', it means that your version of `glibc' is
not compatible with the one used to build *MySQL*:

     Sorry, the host 'xxxx' could not be looked up

You can solve this problem one of the following ways:

   * Get a *MySQL* source distribution (an RPM or the `tar'
     distribution) and install this instead.

   * Execute `mysql_install_db --force'; This will not execute the
     `resolveip' test in `mysql_install_db'.  The downside is that you
     can't use host names in the grant tables; you must use IP numbers
     instead (except for `localhost').  If you are using an old *MySQL*
     release that doesn't support `--force' you have to remove the test
     in `mysql_install' with an editor.

HP-UX notes

The binary distribution of *MySQL* for HP-UX is distributed as an HP
depot file.  This means that you must be running at least HP-UX 10.x to
have access to HP's software depot tools.

The HP version of *MySQL* was compiled on an HP 9000/8xx server under
HP-UX 10.20, and uses MIT-pthreads. It is known to work well under this
configuration. This version does *not* use HP's native thread package.
It is highly unlikely that *MySQL* will use HP native threads on
anything but HP-UX 10.30 or later.

Other configurations that may work:

   * HP 9000/7xx running HP-UX 10.20+

   * HP 9000/8xx running HP-UX 10.30 (does not use HP native threads)

The following configurations almost definitely won't work:

   * HP 9000/7xx or 8xx running HP-UX 10.x where x < 2

   * HP 9000/7xx or 8xx running HP-UX 9.x

To install the distribution, use one of the commands below, where
`/path/to/depot' is the full pathname of the depot file:

   * To install everything, including the server, client and
     development tools:

          shell> /usr/sbin/swinstall -s /path/to/depot mysql.full

   * To install only the server:

          shell> /usr/sbin/swinstall -s /path/to/depot mysql.server

   * To install only the client package:

          shell> /usr/sbin/swinstall -s /path/to/depot mysql.client

   * To install only the development tools:

          shell> /usr/sbin/swinstall -s /path/to/depot mysql.developer

The depot places binaries and libraries in `/opt/mysql' and data in
`/var/opt/mysql'. The depot also creates the appropriate entries in
`/sbin/init.d' and `/sbin/rc2.d' to start the server automatically at
boot time. Obviously, this entails being `root' to install.

Installing a *MySQL* source distribution

You need the following tools to build and install *MySQL* from source:

   * GNU `gunzip' to uncompress the distribution.

   * A reasonable `tar' to unpack the distribution. GNU `tar' is known
     to work.

   * A working ANSI C++ compiler. `gcc' >= 2.8.1, `egcs' >= 1.0.2, SGI
     C++ and SunPro C++ are some of the compilers that are known to
     work.  `libg++' is not needed when using `gcc'.  `gcc' 2.7.x has a
     bug that makes it impossible to compile some perfectly legal C++
     files, such as `sql/sql_base.cc'. If you only have `gcc' 2.7.x,
     you must upgrade your `gcc' to be able to compile *MySQL*.

   * A good `make' program.  GNU `make' is always recommended and is
     sometimes required.  If you have problems, we recommend trying GNU
     `make' 3.75 or newer.

If you run into problems, *PLEASE ALWAYS USE `mysqlbug'* when posting
questions to <mysql@stripped>.  Even if the problem isn't a bug,
`mysqlbug' gathers system information that will help others solve your
problem.  By not using `mysqlbug', you lessen the likelihood of getting
a solution to your problem!  You will find `mysqlbug' in the `scripts'
directory after you unpack the distribution.  *Note Bug reports::.

* Menu:

* Quick install::               Quick installation overview
* Applying patches::            Applying patches
* configure options::           Typical `configure' options

Quick installation overview
---------------------------

The basic commands you must execute to install a *MySQL* source
distribution are (from a unpacked tar file):

     shell> configure
     shell> make
     shell> make install
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld &

If you start from a source RPM the do the following.

     shell> rpm -bb MySQL-VERSION.src.rpm

This will make a binary RPM that you can install.

You can add new users using the `bin/mysql_setpermission' script if you
install the `DBI' and `Msql-Mysql-modules' Perl modules.

Here follows a more detailed description:

To install a source distribution, follow the steps below, then proceed
to *Note Post-installation::, for post-installation initialization and
testing.

  1. Pick the directory under which you want to unpack the
     distribution, and move into it.

  2. Obtain a distribution file from one of the sites listed in *Note
     Getting *MySQL*: Getting MySQL.

     *MySQL* source distributions are provided as compressed `tar'
     archives and have names like `mysql-VERSION.tar.gz', where
     `VERSION' is a number like 3.22.19a.

  3. Unpack the distribution into the current directory:
          shell> gunzip < mysql-VERSION.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     This command creates a directory named `mysql-VERSION'.

  4. Change into the top-level directory of the unpacked distribution:
          shell> cd mysql-VERSION

  5. Configure the release and compile everything:
          shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
          shell> make
     When you run `configure', you might want to specify some options.
     Run `./configure --help' for a list of options.  *Note `configure'
     options.

     If `configure' fails, and you are going to send mail to
     <mysql@stripped> to ask for assistance, please include any lines from
     `config.log' that you think can help solve the problem.  Also
     include the last couple of lines of output from `configure' if
     `configure' aborts. Post the bug report using the `mysqlbug'
     script.  *Note Bug reports::.

     If the compile fails, see *Note Compilation problems::, for help
     with a number of common problems.

  6. Install everything:
          shell> make install
     You might need to run this command as `root'.

  7. Create the *MySQL* grant tables (necessary only if you haven't
     installed *MySQL* before):
          shell> scripts/mysql_install_db

  8. If you want to install support for the Perl `DBI'/`DBD' interface,
     see *Note Perl support::.

  9. If you would like *MySQL* to start automatically when you boot your
     machine, you can copy `support-files/mysql.server' to the location
     where your system has its startup files. More information can be
     found in the `support-files/mysql.server' script itself, and in
     *Note Automatic start::.

After everything has been installed, you should initialize and test your
distribution.

You can start the *MySQL* server with the following command, where
`BINDIR' is the directory in which `safe_mysqld' is installed
(`/usr/local/bin' by default):

     shell> BINDIR/safe_mysqld &

If that command fails immediately with `mysqld daemon ended' then you
can find some information in the file
`mysql-data-directory/'hostname'.err'.  The likely reason is that you
already have another `mysqld' server running.  *Note Multiple servers::.

Note that *MySQL* versions before 3.22.10 started the *MySQL* server
when you run `mysql_install_db'.  This is no longer true!

*Note Post-installation::.

Applying patches
patch appears in a file, change into the top-level directory of your
*MySQL* source tree and run these commands:

     shell> patch -p1 < patch-file-name
     shell> rm config.cache
     shell> make clean

Patches from the FTP site are distributed as plain text files or as
files compressed with `gzip' files.  Apply a plain patch as shown above
for mailing list patches.  To apply a compressed patch, change into the
top-level directory of your *MySQL* source tree and run these commands:

     shell> gunzip < patch-file-name.gz | patch -p1
     shell> rm config.cache
     shell> make clean

After applying a patch, follow the instructions for a normal source
install, beginning with the `./configure' step.  After running the `make
install' step, restart your *MySQL* server.

You may need to bring down any currently running server before you run
`make install'.  (Use `mysqladmin shutdown' to do this.)  Some systems
do not allow you to install a new version of a program if it replaces
the version that is currently executing.

Typical `configure' options
---------------------------

The `configure' script gives you a great deal of control over how you
configure your *MySQL* distribution.  Typically you do this using
options on the `configure' command line.  You can also affect
`configure' using certain environment variables.  For a list of options
supported by `configure', run this command:

     shell> ./configure --help

Some of the more commonly-used `configure' options are described below:

   * To compile just the *MySQL* client libraries and client programs
     and not the server, use the `--without-server' option:

          shell> ./configure --without-server

     If you don't have a C++ compiler, `mysql' will not compile (it is
     the one client program that requires C++).  In this case, you can
     remove the code in `configure' that tests for the C++ compiler and
     then run `./configure' with the `--without-server' option. The
     compile step will still try to build `mysql', but you can ignore
     any warnings about `mysql.cc'.  (If `make' stops, try `make -k' to
     tell it to continue with the rest of the build even if errors
     occur.)

   * If you don't want your log files and database directories located
     under `/usr/local/var', use a `configure' command something like
     one of these:
          shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
          shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
                     --localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/data
     The first command changes the installation prefix so that
     everything is installed under `/usr/local/mysql' rather than the
     default of `/usr/local'.  The second command preserves the default
     installation prefix, but overrides the default location for
     database directories (normally `/usr/local/var') and changes it to
     `/usr/local/mysql/data'.

   * If you want your sockets located somewhere other than the default
     location (normally `/tmp' or `/var/run'), use a `configure' command
     like this:
          shell> ./configure --with-unix-socket-path=/path/to/socket/dir
     `/path/to/socket/dir' must be an absolute pathname.

   * If you want to compile statically-linked programs (e.g., to make a
     binary distribution, to get more speed or to work around problems
     with some RedHat distributions), run `configure' like this:

          shell> ./configure --with-client-ldflags=-all-static \
                     --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

   * If you are using `gcc' and don't have `libg++' or `libstdc++'
     installed, you can tell `configure' to use `gcc' as your C++
     compiler:

          shell> CC=gcc CXX=gcc ./configure

     When you use `gcc' as your C++ compiler, it will not attempt to
     link in `libg++' or `libstdc++'.

     If the build fails and produces errors about your compiler or
     linker not being able to create the shared library
     `libmysqlclient.so.#' (`#' is a version number), you can work
     around this problem by giving the `--disable-shared' option to
     `configure'.  In this case, `configure' will not build a shared
     `libmysqlclient.so.#' library.

   * You can configure *MySQL* not to use `DEFAULT' column values for
     non-`NULL' columns (i.e., columns that are not allowed to be
     `NULL').  This causes `INSERT' statements to generate an error
     unless you explicitly specify values for all columns that require a
     non-`NULL' value.  To suppress use of default values, run
     `configure' like this:

          shell> CXXFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS ./configure

   * By default, *MySQL* uses the ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) character set. To
     change the default set, use the `--with-charset' option:
          shell> ./configure --with-charset=CHARSET
     `CHARSET' may be one of `big5', `czech', `danish', `dec8', `dos',
     `german1', `hebrew', `hp8', `hungarian', `koi8_ru', `ru', `latin1',
     `latin2', `sjis', `swe7', `tis620', `ujis', `usa7' or `win1251'.
     *Note Character sets::.

     Note that if you want to change the character set, you must do a
     `make distclean' between configurations!

     If you want to convert characters between the server and the
     client, you should take a look at the `SET OPTION CHARACTER SET'
     command.  *Note Set option::.

     *Warning:* If you change character sets after having created any
     tables, you will have to run `isamchk -r -q' on every table. Your
     indexes may be sorted incorrectly otherwise.  (This can happen if
     you install *MySQL*, create some tables, then reconfigure *MySQL*
     to use a different character set and reinstall it.)

   * To configure *MySQL* with debugging code, use the `--with-debug'
     option:
          shell> ./configure --with-debug
     This causes a safe memory allocator to be included that can find
     some errors and that provides output about what is happening.
     *Note Debugging::.

   * Options that pertain to particular systems can be found in the
     system-specific sections later in this chapter.  *Note Source
     install system issues::.

Problems compiling?
===================

All *MySQL* programs compile cleanly for us with no warnings on Solaris
using `gcc'. On other systems, warnings may occur due to differences in
system include files. See *Note MIT-pthreads::, for warnings that may
occur when using MIT-pthreads.  For other problems, check the list
below.

The solution to many problems involves reconfiguring.  If you do need to
reconfigure, take note of the following:

   * If `configure' is run after it already has been run, it may use
     information that was gathered during its previous invocation.  This
     information is stored in `config.cache'.  When `configure' starts
     up, it looks for that file and reads its contents if it exists, on
     the assumption that the information is still correct.  That
     assumption is invalid when you reconfigure.

   * Each time you run `configure', you must run `make' again to
     recompile.  However, you may want to remove old object files from
     previous builds first, since they were compiled using different
     configuration options.

To prevent old configuration information or object files from being
used, run these commands before rerunning `configure':

     shell> rm config.cache
     shell> make clean

Alternatively, you can run `make distclean'.

The list below describes some of the problems compiling *MySQL* that
have been found to occur most often:

   * If you get errors when compiling `sql_yacc.cc' such as the ones
     shown below, you have probably run out of memory or swap space:

          Internal compiler error: program cc1plus got fatal signal 11
            or
          Out of virtual memory
            or
          Virtual memory exhausted

     The problem is that `gcc' requires huge amounts of memory to
     compile `sql_yacc.cc' with inline functions.  Try running
     `configure' with the `--with-low-memory' option:

          shell> ./configure --with-low-memory

     This option causes `-fno-inline' to be added to the compile line
     if you are using `gcc' and `-O0' if you are using something else.
     You should try the `--with-low-memory' option even if you have so
     much memory and swap space that you think you can't possibly have
     run out.  This problem has been observed to occur even on systems
     with generous hardware configurations, and the `--with-low-memory'
     option usually fixes it.

   * By default, `configure' picks `c++' as the compiler name and GNU
     `c++' links with `-lg++'.  If you are using `gcc', that behavior
     can cause problems during configuration such as this:

          configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
          C++ compiler cannot create executables.

     You might also observe problems during compilation related to
     `g++', `libg++' or `libstdc++'.

     One cause of these problems is that you may not have `g++', or you
     may have `g++' but not `libg++' or `libstdc++'.  Take a look at
     the `config.log' file.  It should contain the exact reason why
     your c++ compiler didn't work!  To work around these problems, you
     can use `gcc' as your C++ compiler.  Try setting the environment
     variable `CXX' to `"gcc -O3"'.  For example:

          shell> CXX="gcc -O3" ./configure

     This works because `gcc' compiles C++ sources as well as `g++'
     does, but does not link in `libg++' or `libstdc++' by default.

     Another way to fix these problems, of course, is to install `g++',
     `libg++' and `libstdc++'.

   * If your compile fails with errors such as any of the following,
     you must upgrade your version of `make' to GNU `make':

          making all in mit-pthreads
          make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 18:
          Badly formed macro assignment
            or
          make: file `Makefile' line 18: Must be a separator (:
            or
          pthread.h: No such file or directory

     Solaris and FreeBSD are known to have troublesome `make' programs.

     GNU `make' version 3.75 is known to work.

   * If you want to define flags to be used by your C or C++ compilers,
     do so by adding the flags to the `CFLAGS' and `CXXFLAGS'
     environment variables.  You can also specify the compiler names
     this way using `CC' and `CXX'.  For example:

          shell> CC=gcc
          shell> CFLAGS=-O6
          shell> CXX=gcc
          shell> CXXFLAGS=-O6
          shell> export CC CFLAGS CXX CXXFLAGS

     See *Note TcX binaries::, for a list of flag definitions that have
     been found to be useful on various systems.

   * If you get an error message like this, you need to upgrade your
     `gcc' compiler:

          client/libmysql.c:273: parse error before `__attribute__'

     `gcc' 2.8.1 is known to work, but we recommend using `egcs' 1.0.3a
     or newer instead.

   * If you get errors such as those shown below when compiling
     `mysqld', `configure' didn't correctly detect the type of the last
     argument to `accept()', `getsockname()' or `getpeername()':

          cxx: Error: mysqld.cc, line 645: In this statement, the referenced
               type of the pointer value "&length" is "unsigned long", which
               is not compatible with "int".
          new_sock = accept(sock, (struct sockaddr *)&cAddr, &length);

     To fix this, edit the `config.h' file (which is generated by
     `configure').  Look for these lines:

          /* Define as the base type of the last arg to accept */
          #define SOCKET_SIZE_TYPE XXX

     Change `XXX' to `size_t' or `int', depending on your operating
     system.  (Note that you will have to do this each time you run
     `configure', since `configure' regenerates `config.h'.)

   * The `sql_yacc.cc' file is generated from `sql_yacc.yy'.  Normally
     the build process doesn't need to create `sql_yacc.cc', because
     *MySQL* comes with an already-generated copy.  However, if you do
     need to recreate it, you might encounter this error:

          "sql_yacc.yy", line xxx fatal: default action causes potential...

     This is a sign that your version of `yacc' is deficient.  You
     probably need to install `bison' (the GNU version of `yacc') and
     use that instead.

   * If you need to debug `mysqld' or a *MySQL* client, run `configure'
     with the `--with-debug' option, then recompile and link your
     clients with the new client library.  *Note Debugging::.

     Before running a client, you should set the `MYSQL_DEBUG'
     environment variable:

          shell> MYSQL_DEBUG=d:t:O,/tmp/client.trace
          shell> export MYSQL_DEBUG

     This causes clients to generate a trace file in
     `/tmp/client.trace'.

   * If you have problems with your own client code, you should attempt
     to connect to the server and run your query using a client that is
     known to work.  Do this by running `mysql' in debugging mode
     (assuming you have compiled *MySQL* with debugging on):

          shell> mysql --debug=d:t:O,/tmp/client.trace

     This will provide useful information in case you mail a bug report.
     *Note Bug reports::.

MIT-pthreads notes
==================

This section describes some of the issues involved in using
MIT-pthreads.

If your system does not provide native thread support, you will need to
build *MySQL* using the MIT-pthreads package.  This includes most
FreeBSD systems, SunOS 4.x, Solaris 2.4 and earlier, and some others.
*Note Which OS::.

   * On most systems, you can force MIT-pthreads to be used by running
     `configure' with the `--with-mit-threads' option:

          shell> ./configure --with-mit-threads

     Building in a non-source directory is not supported when using
     MIT-pthreads, because we want to minimize our changes to this code.

   * MIT-pthreads doesn't support the `AF_UNIX' protocol used to
     implement Unix sockets.  This means that if you compile using
     MIT-pthreads, all connections must be made using TCP/IP (which is
     a little slower).  If you find after building *MySQL* that you
     cannot connect to the local server, it may be that your client is
     attempting to connect to `localhost' using a Unix socket as the
     default. Try making a TCP/IP connection with `mysql' by using a
     host option (`-h' or `--host') to specify the local host name
     explicitly.

   * The checks that determine whether or not to use MIT-pthreads occur
     only during the part of the configuration process that deals with
     the server code.  If you have configured the distribution using
     `--without-server' to build only the client code, clients will not
     know whether or not MIT-pthreads is being used and will use Unix
     socket connections by default.  Since Unix sockets do not work
     under MIT-pthreads, this means you will need to use `-h' or
     `--host' when you run client programs.

   * When *MySQL* is compiled using MIT-pthreads, system locking is
     disabled by default for performance reasons. You can tell the
     server to use system locking with the `--use-locking' option.

   * Sometimes the pthread `bind()' command fails to bind to a socket
     without any error message (at least on Solaris). The result is
     that all connections to the server fail.  For example:

          shell> mysqladmin version
          mysqladmin: connect to server at '' failed;
          error: 'Can't connect to mysql server on localhost (146)'

     The solution to this is to kill the `mysqld' server and restart it.
     This has only happened to us when we have forced the server down
     and done a restart immediately.

   * With MIT-pthreads, the `sleep()' system call isn't interruptible
     with `SIGINT' (break). This is only noticeable when you run
     `mysqladmin --sleep'.  You must wait for the `sleep()' call to
     terminate before the interrupt is served and the process stops.

   * When linking you may receive warning messages like these (at least
     on Solaris); they can be ignored:

          ld: warning: symbol `_iob' has differing sizes:
              (file /my/local/pthreads/lib/libpthread.a(findfp.o) value=0x4;
          file /usr/lib/libc.so value=0x140);
              /my/local/pthreads/lib/libpthread.a(findfp.o) definition taken
          ld: warning: symbol `__iob' has differing sizes:
              (file /my/local/pthreads/lib/libpthread.a(findfp.o) value=0x4;
          file /usr/lib/libc.so value=0x140);
              /my/local/pthreads/lib/libpthread.a(findfp.o) definition taken

   * Some other warnings also can be ignored:

          implicit declaration of function `int strtoll(...)'
          implicit declaration of function `int strtoul(...)'

   * We haven't gotten `readline' to work with MIT-pthreads. (This
     isn't needed, but may be interesting for someone.)

Perl installation comments
==========================

* Menu:

* Perl support problems::       Problems using the Perl `DBI'/`DBD' interface

Perl support for *MySQL* is provided by means of the `DBI'/`DBD' client
interface.  *Note Perl::.  The Perl `DBD'/`DBI' client code requires
Perl 5.004 or later.  The interface *will not work* if you have an
older version of Perl.

As of release 3.22.8, Perl support is distributed separately from the
main *MySQL* distribution.  If you want to install Perl support, the
files you will need can be obtained from `http://www.mysql.com/Contrib'.

The Perl distributions are provided as compressed `tar' archives and
have names like `MODULE-VERSION.tar.gz', where `MODULE' is the module
name and `VERSION' is the version number.  You should get the
`Data-Dumper', `DBI', and `Msql-Mysql-modules' distributions and
install them in that order.  The installation procedure is shown below.
The example shown is for the `Data-Dumper' module, but the procedure is
the same for all three distributions.

  1. Unpack the distribution into the current directory:
          shell> gunzip < Data-Dumper-VERSION.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     This command creates a directory named `Data-Dumper-VERSION'.

  2. Change into the top-level directory of the unpacked distribution:
          shell> cd Data-Dumper-VERSION

  3. Build the distribution and compile everything:
          shell> perl Makefile.PL
          shell> make
          shell> make test
          shell> make install

The `make test' command is important, because it verifies that the
module is working.  Note that when you run that command during the
`Msql-Mysql-modules' installation to exercise the interface code, the
*MySQL* server must be running or the test will fail.

It is a good idea to rebuild and reinstall the `Msql-Mysql-modules'
distribution whenever you install a new release of *MySQL*,
particularly if you notice symptoms such as all your `DBI' scripts
dumping core after you upgrade *MySQL*.

If you don't have the right to install Perl modules in the system
directory or if you to install local Perl modules, the following
reference may help you:

     `http://www.iserver.com/support/contrib/perl5/modules.html'

Look under the heading `Installing New Modules that Require Locally
Installed Modules'.

Problems using the Perl `DBI'/`DBD' interface

If Perl reports that it can't find the `../mysql/mysql.so' module, then
the problem is probably that Perl can't locate the shared library
`libmysqlclient.so'.

You can fix this by any of the following methods:

   * Compile the `Msql-Mysql-modules' distribution with `perl
     Makefile.PL -static' rather than `perl Makefile.PL'

   * Copy `libmysqlclient.so' to the directory where your other shared
     libraries are located (probably `/usr/lib' or `/lib').

   * On `Linux' you can add the pathname of the directory where
     `libmysqlclient.so' is located to the `/etc/ld.so.conf' file.

   * Add the pathname of the directory where `libmysqlclient.so' is
     located to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable.

If you get the following errors from `DBD-mysql', you are probably
using `gcc' (or using an old binary compiled with `gcc'):

     /usr/bin/perl: can't resolve symbol '__moddi3'
     /usr/bin/perl: can't resolve symbol '__divdi3'

Add `-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/... -lgcc' to the link command when the
`mysql.so' library gets built (check the output from `make' for
`mysql.so' when you compile the Perl client).  The `-L' option should
specify the pathname of the directory where `libgcc.a' is located on
your system.

Another cause of this problem may be that Perl and *MySQL* aren't both
compiled with `gcc'.  In this case, you can solve the mismatch by
compiling both with `gcc'.

If you want to use the Perl module on a system that doesn't support
dynamic linking (like SCO) you can generate a static version of Perl
that includes `DBI' and `DBD-mysql'.  The way this works is that you
generate a version of Perl with the `DBI' code linked in and install it
on top of your current Perl.  Then you use that to build a version of
Perl that additionally has the `DBD' code linked in, and install that.

On SCO, you must have the following environment variables set:

     shell> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/progressive/lib
     or
     shell> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/progressive/lib:/usr/skunk/lib
     shell> LIBPATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/progressive/lib:/usr/skunk/lib
     shell> MANPATH=scohelp:/usr/man:/usr/local1/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/skunk/man:

First, create a Perl that includes a statically-linked `DBI' by running
these commands in the directory where your `DBI' distribution is
located:

     shell> perl Makefile.PL LINKTYPE=static
     shell> make
     shell> make install
     shell> make perl

Then you must install the new Perl. The output of `make perl' will
indicate the exact `make' command you will need to execute to perform
the installation.  On SCO, this is `make -f Makefile.aperl inst_perl
MAP_TARGET=perl'.

Next, use the just-created Perl to create another Perl that also
includes a statically-linked `DBD::mysql' by running these commands in
the directory where your `Msql-Mysql-modules' distribution is located:

     shell> perl Makefile.PL LINKTYPE=static
     shell> make
     shell> make install
     shell> make perl

Finally, you should install this new Perl.  Again, the output of `make
perl' indicates the command to use.

System-specific issues
======================

The following sections indicate some of the issues that have been
observed to occur on particular systems when installing *MySQL* from a
source distribution.

* Menu:

* Solaris::                     Solaris notes
* Solaris 2.7::                 Solairs 2.7 notes
* Solaris x86::                 Solaris x86 notes
* SunOS::                       SunOS 4 notes
* Linux::                       Linux notes (all Linux versions)
* Linux-RPM::                   Linux RPM files
* Alpha-DEC-Unix::              Alpha-DEC-Unix notes
* Alpha-DEC-OSF1::              Alpha-DEC-OSF1 notes
* SGI-Irix::                    SGI-Irix notes
* FreeBSD::                     FreeBSD notes
* BSDI::                        BSD/OS notes
* SCO::                         SCO notes
* SCO Unixware::                SCO Unixware 7.0 notes
* IBM-AIX::                     IBM-AIX notes
* HP-UX::                       HP-UX notes

Solaris notes
-------------

On Solaris, you may run into trouble even before you get the *MySQL*
distribution unpacked!  Solaris `tar' can't handle long file names, so
you may see an error like this when you unpack *MySQL*:

     x mysql-3.22.12-beta/bench/Results/ATIS-mysql_odbc-NT_4.0-cmp-db2,informix,ms-sql,mysql,oracle,solid,sybase, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
     tar: directory checksum error

In this case, you must use GNU `tar' (`gtar') to unpack the
distribution.  You can find a precompiled copy for Solaris at
`http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/'.

Sun native threads work only on Solaris 2.5 and higher. For 2.4 and
earlier versions, *MySQL* will automatically use MIT-pthreads. *Note
MIT-pthreads::.

If you have the Sun Workshop 4.2 compiler, you can run `configure' like
this:

     shell> CC=cc CFLAGS="-Xa -fast -xstrconst -mt" \

            CXX=CC CXXFLAGS="-xsb -noex -fast -mt" \
            ./configure

You may also have to edit the `configure' script to change this line:

     #if !defined(__STDC__) || __STDC__ != 1

to this:

     #if !defined(__STDC__)

If you turn on `__STDC__' with the `-Xc' option, the Sun compiler can't
compile with the Solaris `pthread.h' header file. This is a Sun bug
(broken compiler or broken include file).

If `mysqld' issues the error message shown below when you run it, you
have tried to compile *MySQL* with the Sun compiler without enabling the
multi-thread option (`-mt'):

     libc internal error: _rmutex_unlock: rmutex not held

Add `-mt' to `CFLAGS' and `CXXFLAGS' and try again.

If you get the following error when compiling *MySQL* with `gcc', it
means that your `gcc' is not configured for your version of Solaris!

     shell> gcc -O3 -g -O2 -DDBUG_OFF  -o thr_alarm ...
     ./thr_alarm.c: In function `signal_hand':
     ./thr_alarm.c:556: too many arguments to function `sigwait'

The proper thing to do in this case is to get the newest version of
`egcs' or `gcc' and compile it with your current `gcc' compiler!  At
least for Solaris 2.5, almost all binary versions of `gcc' have old,
unusable include files that will break all programs that use threads
(and possibly other programs)!

Note that `gcc' 2.8.1 has a couple on bugs on SPARC platforms!  On
SPARC, we recommend you use `egcs' 1.0.3a.   If you are using `egcs'
1.1 or `egcs' 1.1.1 you MUST compile *MySQL* with `-O1', because higher
optimization levels produce incorrect code.

The recommended `configure' line when using `egcs' 1.1 or `egcs' 1.1.1
is:
     shell> CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O1" \
            CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O1 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" \
            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-low-memory

Solaris doesn't provide static versions of all system libraries
(`libpthreads' and `libdl'), so you can't compile *MySQL* with
`--static'.  If you try to do so, you will get the error:

     ld: fatal: library -ldl: not found

If too many processes try to connect very rapidly to `mysqld', you will
see this error in the *MySQL* log:

     Error in accept: Protocol error

You might try starting the server with the `--set-variable back_log=50'
option as a workaround for this.

If you are linking your own *MySQL* client, you might get the following
error when you try to execute it:

     ld.so.1: ./my: fatal: libmysqlclient.so.#: open failed: No such file or directory

The problem can be avoided by one of the following methods:

   * Link the client with the following flag (instead of `-Lpath'):
     `-Wl,r/path-libmysqlclient.so'.

   * Copy `libmysqclient.so' to `/usr/lib'.

   * Add the pathname of the directory where `libmysqlclient.so' is
     located to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable before running
     your client.

Solaris 2.7 notes
-----------------

You can normally use a Solaris 2.6 binary on Solaris 2.7.  Most of the
Solaris 2.6 issues also apply for Solaris 2.7.

Solaris 2.7 has some bugs in the include files. You may see the
following error when you use `gcc':

     /usr/include/widec.h:42: warning: `getwc' redefined
     /usr/include/wchar.h:326: warning: this is the location of the previous
     definition

If this occurs, you can do the following to fix the problem:

Copy `/usr/include/widec.h' to `.../lib/gcc-lib/os/gcc-version/include'
and change line 41 from:

     #if     !defined(lint) && !defined(__lint)

     #if     !defined(lint) && !defined(__lint) && !defined(getwc)

Alternatively, you can edit `/usr/include/widec.h' directly.  Either
way, after you make the fix, you should remove `config.cache' and run
`configure' again!

If you get errors like this when you run `make', it's because the file
`/usr/include/term.h' is broken:

     In file included from mysql.cc:50:
     /usr/include/term.h:1060: syntax error before `,'
     /usr/include/term.h:1081: syntax error before `;'

The solution is to remove the `#define HAVE_TERM' line from `config.h'
and run `make' again.

Solaris x86 notes
-----------------

If you are using `gcc' or `egcs' on Solaris x86 and you experience
problems with core dumps under load, you should use the following
`configure' command:

     shell> CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer" \
            CXX=gcc \
            CXXFLAGS="-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" \
            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

This will avoid problems with the `libstdc++' library and with C++
exceptions.

If this doesn't help, you should compile a debug version and run it
with a trace file or under `gdb'.  *Note Debugging::.

SunOS 4 notes
-------------

On SunOS 4, MIT-pthreads is needed to compile *MySQL*, which in turn
means you will need GNU `make'.

Some SunOS 4 systems have problems with dynamic libraries and
`libtool'. You can use the following `configure' line to avoid this
problem:

     shell> ./configure --disable-shared --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

When compiling `readline', you may get warnings about duplicate defines.
These may be ignored.

When compiling `mysqld', there will be some `implicit declaration of
function' warnings. These may be ignored.

Linux notes (all Linux versions)
--------------------------------

If you can't start `mysqld' or if `mysql_install_db' doesn't work,
please continue reading!  This only happens on Linux system with
problems in the LinuxThreads or `libc'/`glibc' libraries. There are a
lot of simple workarounds to get *MySQL* to work!  The simplest is to
use the binary version of *MySQL* (not the RPM) for Linux x86.  One nice
aspect of this version is that it's probably 10% faster than any
version you would compile yourself!  *Note Compile and link options::.

`isamchk' hangs with `libc.so.5.3.12'. Upgrading to the newest `libc'
fixes this problem.

When using LinuxThreads you will see a minimum of three processes
running. These are in fact threads. There will be one thread for the
LinuxThreads manager, one thread to handle connections, and one thread
to handle alarms and signals.

If you are using LinuxThreads and `mysqladmin shutdown' doesn't work,
you must upgrade to LinuxThreads 0.7.1 or newer.

If you are using RedHat, you might get errors like this:

     /usr/bin/perl is needed...
     /usr/sh is needed...
     /usr/sh is needed...

If so, you should upgrade your version of `rpm' to
`rpm-2.4.11-1.i386.rpm' and `rpm-devel-2.4.11-1.i386.rpm' (or later).

You can get the upgrades of libraries to RedHat 4.2 from
`ftp://ftp.redhat.com/updates/4.2/i386'. Or
`http://www.sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/code/rpm/'
for other distributions.

If you are linking your own *MySQL* client and get the error:

     ld.so.1: ./my: fatal: libmysqlclient.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory

when executing them, the problem can be avoided by one of the following
methods:

   * Link the client with the following flag (instead of `-Lpath'):
     `-Wl,r/path-libmysqlclient.so'.

   * Copy `libmysqclient.so' to `/usr/lib'.

   * Add the pathname of the directory where `libmysqlclient.so' is
     located to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable before running
     your client.

* Menu:

* Linux-x86::                   Linux-x86 notes
* Linux-RedHat50::              RedHat 5.0 notes
* Linux-RedHat51::              RedHat 5.1 notes
* Linux-SPARC::                 Linux-SPARC notes
* Linux-Alpha::                 Linux-Alpha notes
* MKLinux::                     MkLinux notes

Linux-x86 notes

LinuxThreads should be installed before configuring *MySQL* if you are
not using `glibc2'!

*MySQL* requires `libc' version 5.4.12 or newer. It's known to work
with `libc' 5.4.46. `glibc' version 2.0.6 and later should also work.
There have been some problems with the `glibc' RPMs from RedHat so if
you have problems, check whether or not there are any updates!  The
`glibc' 2.0.7-19 and 2.0.7-29 RPMs are known to work.

On some older Linux distributions, `configure' may produce an error
like this:

     Syntax error in sched.h. Change _P to __P in the /usr/include/sched.h file.
     See the Installation chapter in the Reference Manual.

Just do what the error message says and add an extra underscore to the
`_P' macro that has only one underscore, then try again.

You may get some warnings when compiling; those shown below can be
ignored:

     mysqld.cc -o objs-thread/mysqld.o
     mysqld.cc: In function `void init_signals()':
     mysqld.cc:315: warning: assignment of negative value `-1' to `long unsigned int'
     mysqld.cc: In function `void * signal_hand(void *)':
     mysqld.cc:346: warning: assignment of negative value `-1' to `long unsigned int'

In Debian GNU/Linux, if you want *MySQL* to start automatically when
the system boots, do the following:

     shell> cp support-files/mysql.server /etc/init.d/mysql.server
     shell> /usr/sbin/update-rc.d mysql.server defaults 99

`mysql.server' can be found in the `share/mysql' directory under the
*MySQL* installation directory, or in the `support-files' directory of
the *MySQL* source tree.

If `mysqld' always core dumps when it starts up, the problem may be that
you have an old `/lib/libc.a'.  Try renaming it, then remove
`sql/mysqld' and do a new `make install' and try again.  This problem
has been reported on some Slackware installations. RedHat 5.0 has also
a similar problem with some new `glibc' versions.  *Note
Linux-RedHat50::.

If you get the following error when linking `mysqld', it means that
your `libg++.a' is not installed correctly:

     /usr/lib/libc.a(putc.o): In function `_IO_putc':
     putc.o(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `_IO_putc'

You can avoid using `libg++.a' by running `configure' like this:

     shell> CXX=gcc ./configure

RedHat 5.0 notes

If you have any problems with *MySQL* on RedHat, you should start by
upgrading `glibc' to the newest possible version!

If you install all the official RedHat patches (including
`glibc-2.0.7-19' and `glibc-devel-2.0.7-19'), both the binary and
source distributions of *MySQL* should work without any trouble!

The updates are needed since there is a bug in `glibc' 2.0.5 in how
`pthread_key_create' variables are freed. With `glibc' 2.0.5, you must
use a statically-linked *MySQL* binary distribution. If you want to
compile from source, you must install the corrected version of
LinuxThreads from `http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/Linux' or upgrade your
`glibc'.

If you have an incorrect version of `glibc' or LinuxThreads, the symptom
is that `mysqld' crashes after each connection. For example,
`mysqladmin version' will crash `mysqld' when it finishes!

Another symptom of incorrect libraries is that `mysqld' crashes at once
when it starts. On some Linux systems, this can be fixed by configuring
like this:

     shell> ./configure --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

On Redhat 5.0, the easy way out is to install the `glibc' 2.0.7-19 RPM
and run `configure' *without* the `--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static'
option.

For the source distribution of `glibc' 2.0.7, a patch that is easy to
apply and is tested with *MySQL* may be found at
`http://www.mysql.com/Download/Linux/glibc-2.0.7-total-patch.tar.gz'.

If you experience crashes like these when you build *MySQL*, you can
always download the newest binary version of *MySQL*.  This is
statically-linked to avoid library conflicts and should work on all
Linux systems!

*MySQL* comes with an internal debugger that can generate trace files
with a lot of information that can be used to find and solve a wide
range of different problems.  *Note Debugging::.

RedHat 5.1 notes

The `glibc' of RedHat 5.1 (`glibc' 2.0.7-13) has a memory leak, so to
get a stable *MySQL* version, you must upgrade `glibc' to 2.0.7-19,
downgrade `glibc' or use a binary version of `mysqld'. If you don't do
this, you will encounter memory problems (out of memory, etc., etc.).
The most common error in this case is:

     Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available
     memory, you can consult the manual for any possible OS dependent bug

After you have upgraded to `glibc' 2.0.7-19, you can configure *MySQL*
with dynamic linking (the default), but you *cannot* run `configure'
with the `--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static' option until you have
installed `glibc' 2.0.7-19 from source!

You can check which version of `glibc' you have with `rpm -q glibc'.

Linux-SPARC notes

In some implementations, `readdir_r()' is broken.  The symptom is that
`SHOW DATABASES' always returns an empty set.  This can be fixed by
removing `HAVE_READDIR_R' from `config.h' after configuring and before
compiling.

Some problems will require patching your Linux installation.  The patch
can be found at `http://www.mysql.com/patches/Linux-sparc-2.0.30.diff'.
This patch is against the Linux distribution `sparclinux-2.0.30.tar.gz'
that is available at `vger.rutgers.edu' (a version of Linux that was
never merged with the official 2.0.30).  You must also install
LinuxThreads 0.6 or newer.

Thanks to <jacques@strippedc.ca> for this information.

Linux-Alpha notes

The first problem is LinuxThreads.  The RedHat distribution uses an old
(broken) LinuxThreads version, so you must patch LinuxThreads for
Alpha.  Use the following procedure:

  1. Obtain the `glibc2.5c' source from any GNU FTP site.

  2. Get the file

     `ftp://www.mysql.com/pub/mysql/linux/patched-glibc-linuxthreads-0.6.tar.gz'.
     This includes a fixed `.c' file.  Copy this to the `glibc'
     `./linuxthreads' directory.

  3. Configure and compile `glibc' (You have to read the manual how to
     do this together with LinuxThreads), but don't install it!

  4. In the `/usr/lib' directory, rename your old version of
     `libpthread.a' to `libpthread.a-old'.

  5. Copy the file `glibc.../linuxthreads/libpthread.a' to `/usr/lib'.

  6. Configure *MySQL* with the following command:
          shell> CC=gcc CCFLAGS="-Dalpha_linux_port" \
                 CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -Dalpha_linux_port" \
                 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

  7. Try to compile `mysys/thr_lock' and `mysys/thr_alarm'.  Test that
     these programs work!  (Invoke each one with no arguments.  Each
     should end with `test_succeeded' if everything was okay.)

  8. Recompile `mysqld'.

Note that Linux-Alpha is still an alpha-quality platform for *MySQL*.
With RedHat 5.0 and the patched LinuxThreads, you have a very good
chance of it working.

If you have problems with signals (*MySQL* dies unexpectedly under high
load) you may have found an OS bug with threads and signals. In this
case you can tell *MySQL* not to use signals by configuring with:

     shell> CFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_THR_ALARM \
            CXXFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_THR_ALARM \
            ./configure ...

This doesn't affect the performance of *MySQL*, but has the side effect
that you can't kill clients that are "sleeping" on a connection with
`mysqladmin kill' or `mysqladmin shutdown'.  Instead, the client will
die when it issues its next command.

MkLinux notes

*MySQL* should work on MkLinux with the newest `glibc' package (tested
with `glibc' 2.0.7).

Linux RPM notes
---------------

The recommended way to install *MySQL* on Linux is by an RPM file. The
*MySQL* RPMs are currently being built on a RedHat 5.2 system but
should work on other versions of Linux that support RPM and use `glibc'.

If you have problems with an RPM file, for example `Sorry, the host
'xxxx' could not be looked up', see *Note Binary notes-Linux::.

The RPM files you may want to use are:

   * `MySQL-VERSION.i386.rpm'

     The *MySQL* server.  You will need this unless you only want to
     connect to another *MySQL* server running on another machine.

   * `MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm'

     The standard *MySQL* client programs. You probably always want to
     install this package.

   * `MySQL-bench-VERSION.i386.rpm'

     Tests and benchmarks. Requires Perl and msql-mysql-modules RPMs.

   * `MySQL-devel-VERSION.i386.rpm'

     Libraries and include files needed if you want to compile other
     *MySQL* clients, such as the Perl modules.

   * `MySQL-VERSION.src.rpm'

     This contains the source code for all of the above packages. It
     can also be used to try to build RPMs for other architectures (for
     example, Alpha or SPARC).

To perform a standard minimal installation, run this command:

     shell> rpm -i MySQL-VERSION.i386.rpm MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm

To install just the client package:

     shell> rpm -i MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm

The RPM places data in `/var/lib/mysql'. The RPM also creates the
appropriate entries in `/sbin/rc.d/' to start the server automatically
at boot time.  (This means that if you have performed a previous
installation, you may want to make a copy of your previously-installed
*MySQL* startup file if you made any changes to it, so you don't lose
your changes.)

To see all files in a rpm package.
     shell> rpm -qpl MySQL-VERSION.i386.rpm

Alpha-DEC-Unix notes
--------------------

When compiling threaded programs under Digital UNIX, the documentation
recommends using the `-pthread' option for `cc' and `cxx' and the
libraries `-lmach -lexc' (in addition to `-lpthread').  You should run
`configure' something like this:

     shell> CC="cc -pthread" CXX="cxx -pthread -O" \
            ./configure --with-named-thread-libs="-lpthread -lmach -lexc -lc"

When compiling `mysqld', you may see a couple of warnings like this:

     mysqld.cc: In function void handle_connections()':
     mysqld.cc:626: passing long unsigned int *' as argument 3 of
     accept(int,sockadddr *, int *)'

You can safely ignore these warnings. They occur because `configure'
can detect only errors, not warnings.

If you start the server directly from the command line, you may have
problems with it dying when you log out.  (When you log out, your
outstanding processes receive a `SIGHUP' signal.)  If so, try starting
the server like this:

     shell> nohup mysqld [options] &

`nohup' causes the command following it to ignore any `SIGHUP' signal
sent from the terminal.  Alternatively, start the server by running
`safe_mysqld', which invokes `mysqld' using `nohup' for you.

Alpha-DEC-OSF1 notes
--------------------

If you have problems compiling and have DEC `CC' and `gcc' installed,
try running `configure' like this:

     shell> CC=cc CFLAGS=-O CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 \
            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

If you get problems with the `c_asm.h' file, you can create and use a
'dummy' `c_asm.h' file with:

     shell> touch include/c_asm.h
     shell> CC=gcc CFLAGS=-I./include \
            CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 \
            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

On OSF1 V4.0D and compiler "DEC C V5.6-071 on Digital UNIX V4.0 (Rev.
878)" the compiler had some strange behavior (undefined `asm' symbols).
`/bin/ld' also appears to be broken (problems with `_exit undefined'
errors occuring while linking `mysqld').  On this system, we have
managed to compile *MySQL* with the following `configure' line, after
replacing `/bin/ld' with the version from OSF 4.0C:

     shell> CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

In some versions of OSF1, the `alloca()' function is broken. Fix this
by removing the line in `config.h' that defines `'HAVE_ALLOCA''.

The `alloca()' function also may have an incorrect prototype in
`/usr/include/alloca.h'.  This warning resulting from this can be
ignored.

`configure' will use the following thread libraries automatically:
`--with-named-thread-libs="-lpthread -lmach -lexc -lc"'.

When using `gcc', you can also try running `configure' like this:

     shell> CFLAGS=-D_PTHREAD_USE_D4 CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure ....

If you have problems with signals (*MySQL* dies unexpectedly under high
load) you may have found an OS bug with threads and signals. In this
case you can tell *MySQL* not to use signals by configuring with:

     shell> CFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_THR_ALARM \
            CXXFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_THR_ALARM \
            ./configure ...

This doesn't affect the performance of *MySQL*, but has the side effect
that you can't kill clients that are "sleeping" on a connection with
`mysqladmin kill' or `mysqladmin shutdown'.  Instead, the client will
die when it issues its next command.

SGI-Irix notes
--------------

You may have to undefine some things in `config.h' after running
`configure' and before compiling.

In some Irix implementations, the `alloca()' function is broken. If the
`mysqld' server dies on some `SELECT' statements, remove the lines from
`config.h' that define `HAVE_ALLOC' and `HAVE_ALLOCA_H'.  If
`mysqladmin create' doesn't work, remove the line from `config.h' that
defines `HAVE_READDIR_R'. You may have to remove the `HAVE_TERM_H' line
as well.

Irix 6.2 doesn't support POSIX threads out of of the box.  You must
install these patches, which are available from SGI if you have support:
1403, 1404, 1644, 1717, 1918, 2000, 2044.

If you get the something like the following error when compiling
`mysql.cc':

     "/usr/include/curses.h", line 82: error(1084): invalid combination of type

Then type the following in the top-level directory of your *MySQL*
source tree:

     shell> extra/replace bool curses_bool < /usr/include/curses.h > include/curses.h
     shell> make

There have also been reports of scheduling problems.  If only one
thread is running, things go slow. Avoid this by starting another
client. This may lead to a 2-to-10-fold increase in execution speed
thereafter for the other thread.  This is a poorly-understood problem
with Irix threads; you may have to improvise to find solutions until
this can be fixed.

If you are compiling with `gcc', you can use the following `configure'
command:

     shell> CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 \
            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-thread-safe-client

FreeBSD notes
-------------

If you notice that `configure' will use MIT-pthreads, you should read
the MIT-pthreads notes. *Note MIT-pthreads::.

If you get an error from `make install' that it can't find
`/usr/include/pthreads', `configure' didn't detect that you need
MIT-pthreads. This is fixed by executing these commands:

     shell> rm config.cache
     shell> ./configure --with-mit-threads

The behavior of FreeBSD `make' is slightly different from that of GNU
`make'. If you have `make'-related problems, you should install GNU
`make'.

If `mysql' or `mysqladmin' takes a long time to respond, a user said
the following:

Are you running the `ppp' user process? On one FreeBSD box (2.2.5)
*MySQL* clients takes a couple of seconds to connect to `mysqld' if the
`ppp' process is running.

FreeBSD is also known to have a very low default file handle limit.
*Note Not enough file handles::.

If you have a problem with `SELECT NOW()' returning values in GMT and
not your local time, you have to set the `TZ' environment variable to
your current timezone.  This should be done for the environment in which
the server runs, for example, in `safe_mysqld' or `mysql.server'.

Make sure that the `localhost' entry in the `/etc/hosts' file is
correct (otherwise you will have problems connecting to the database).
The `/etc/hosts' file should start with a line:

     127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.your.domain

If you are using FreeBSD 2.2.6, don't forget to apply the ttcp and
mmap-22 patches to the OS (for security reasons).  Please see
`http://www.freebsd.org' for these CERT patches.

If you are using FreeBSD 2.2.7 and you have problems killing the
`mysqld' daemon, you should get new sources using `cvsup' and recompile
`libc_r'.

* Menu:

* FreeBSD-3.0::                 FreeBSD-3.0 notes

FreeBSD-3.0 notes

You have to run `configure' with the `--with-named-thread-libs=-lc_r'
option.

The pthreads library for FreeBSD doesn't contain the `sigwait()'
function and there are some bugs in it.  To fix this, get the
`FreeBSD-3.0-libc_r-1.0.diff' file from the
FreeBSD area (ftp://www.mysql.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/FreeBSD) of the
*MySQL* FTP site and apply it in the `/usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread'
directory. Then follow the instructions that can be found with `man
pthread' about how to recompile the `libc_r' library.

You can test if you have a "modern" `libpthread.a' with this command:

     shell> nm /usr/lib/libc_r.a | grep sigwait

If the above doesn't find `sigwait', you must use the patch above and
recompile `libc_r'.

BSD/OS notes
------------

* Menu:

* BSDI2::                       BSD/OS 2.x notes
* BSDI3::                       BSD/OS 3.x notes

BSD/OS 2.x notes

If you get the following error when compiling *MySQL*, your `ulimit'
value for virtual memory is too low:

     item_func.h: In method `Item_func_ge::Item_func_ge(const Item_func_ge &)':
     item_func.h:28: virtual memory exhausted
     make[2]: *** [item_func.o] Error 1

Try using `ulimit -v 80000' and run `make' again.  If this doesn't work
and you are using `bash', try switching to `csh' or `sh'; some BSDI
users have reported problems with `bash' and `ulimit'.

If you are using `gcc', you may also use have to use the
`--with-low-memory' flag for `configure' to be able to compile
`sql_yacc.cc'.

If you have a problem with `SELECT NOW()' returning values in GMT and
not your local time, you have to set the `TZ' environment variable to
your current timezone.  This should be done for the environment in which
the server runs, for example in `safe_mysqld' or `mysql.server'.

BSD/OS 3.x notes

Upgrade to BSD/OS 3.1. If that is not possible, install BSDIpatch
M300-038.

Use the following command when configuring *MySQL*:

     shell> env CXX=shlicc++ CC=shlicc2 \
            ./configure \
                --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
                --localstatedir=/var/mysql \
                --without-perl \
                --with-unix-socket-path=/var/mysql/mysql.sock

The following is also known to work:

     shell> env CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 \
            ./configure \
                --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
                --with-unix-socket-path=/var/mysql/mysql.sock

You can change the directory locations if you wish, or just use the
defaults by not specifying any locations.

If you have problems with performance under heavy load, try using the
`--skip-thread-priority' option to `safe_mysqld'!  This will run all
threads with the same priority; on BSDI 3.1, this gives better
performance (at least until BSDI fixes their thread scheduler).

If you get the error `virtual memory exhausted' while compiling, you
should try using `ulimit -v 80000' and run `make' again.  If this
doesn't work and you are using `bash', try switching to `csh' or `sh';
some BSDI users have reported problems with `bash' and `ulimit'.

SCO notes
---------

The current port is tested only on a "sco3.2v5.0.4" system.  There has
also been a lot of progress on a port to "sco 3.2v4.2".

  1. For OpenServer 5.0.X You need to use GDS in Skunkware 95 (95q4c).
     This is necessary because GNU `gcc' 2.7.2 in Skunkware 97 does not
     have GNU `as'.

  2. You need the port of GCC 2.5.? for this product and the Development
     system.  They are required on this version of SCO UNIX.  You cannot
     just use the GCC Dev system.

  3. You should get the FSU Pthreads package and install it first.
     This can be found at
     `http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/FSU-threads.tar.gz'.
     You can also get a precompiled package from

     `ftp://www.mysql.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/SCO/FSU-threads-3.5c.tar.gz'.

  4. FSU Pthreads can be compiled with SCO UNIX 4.2 with tcpip.  Or
     OpenServer 3.0 or Open Desktop 3.0 (OS 3.0 ODT 3.0), with the SCO
     Development System installed using a good port of GCC 2.5.X ODT or
     OS 3.0 you will need a good port of GCC 2.5.? There are a lot of
     problems without a good port.  The port for this product requires
     the SCO UNIX Development system.  Without it, you are missing the
     libraries and the linker that is needed.

  5. To build FSU Pthreads on your system, do the following:
       1. Run `./configure' in the `threads/src' directory and select
          the SCO OpenServer option. This command copies
          `Makefile.SCO5' to `Makefile'.

       2. Run `make'.

       3. To install in the default `/usr/include' directory, login as
          root, then `cd' to the `thread/src' directory, and run `make
          install'.

  6. Remember to use GNU `make' when making *MySQL*.

  7. If you don't start `safe_mysqld' as root, you probably will get
     only the default 110 open files per process.  `mysqld' will write
     a note about this in the log file.

  8. With SCO 3.2V4.2, you must use a FSU Pthreads version 3.5c or
     newer.  The following `configure' command should work:
          shell> CFLAGS="-D_XOPEN_XPG4" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-D_XOPEN_XPG4" \
                 ./configure \
                     --with-debug --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
                     --with-named-thread-libs="-lgthreads -lsocket -lgen -lgthreads" \
                     --with-named-curses-libs="-lcurses" \
                     --without-perl
     You may get some problems with some include files. In this case,
     you can find new SCO-specific include files at

     `ftp://www.mysql.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/SCO/SCO-3.2v4.2-includes.tar.gz'.
     You should unpack this file in the `include' directory of your
     *MySQL* source tree.

SCO development notes:

   * *MySQL* should automatically detect FSU Pthreads and link `mysqld'
     with `-lgthreads -lsocket -lgthreads'.

   * The SCO development libraries are reentrant in FSU Pthreads. SCO
     claims that its libraries' functions are reentrant, so they must
     be reentrant with FSU Pthreads. FSU Pthreads on OpenServer tries
     to use the SCO scheme to make reentrant library.

   * FSU Pthreads (at least the version at `www.mysql.com') comes
     linked with GNU `malloc'.  If you encounter problems with memory
     usage, make sure that `gmalloc.o' is included in `libgthreads.a'
     and `libgthreads.so'.

   * In FSU Pthreads, the following system calls are pthreads-aware:
     `read()', `write()', `getmsg()', `connect()', `accept()',
     `select()' and `wait()'.

SCO Unixware 7.0 notes
----------------------

You must use a version of *MySQL* at least as recent as 3.22.13, since
that version fixes some portability problems under Unixware.

We have been able to compile *MySQL* with the following `configure'
command on UnixWare 7.0.1:

     shell> CC=cc CXX=CC ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

IBM-AIX notes
-------------

Automatic detection of `xlC' is missing from Autoconf, so a `configure'
command something like this is needed when using the IBM compiler:

     shell> CC="xlc_r -ma -O3 -qstrict" \
            CXX="xlC_r -ma -O3 -qstrict" \
            ./configure

If you are using `egcs' to compile *MySQL*, you *MUST* use the
`-fno-exceptions' flag, as the exception handling in `egcs' is not
thread-safe!  (This is tested with `egcs' 1.1.)  We recommend the
following `configure' line with `egcs' and `gcc' on AIX:

     shell> CXX=gcc \
            CXXFLAGS="-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" \
            ./configure --prefix=/home/monty --with-debug --with-low-memory

If you have problems with signals (*MySQL* dies unexpectedly under high
load) you may have found an OS bug with threads and signals. In this
case you can tell *MySQL* not to use signals by configuring with:

     shell> CFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_THR_ALARM CXX=gcc \
            CXXFLAGS="-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -DDONT_USE_THR_ALARM" \
            ./configure --prefix=/home/monty --with-debug --with-low-memory

This doesn't affect the performance of *MySQL*, but has the side effect
that you can't kill clients that are "sleeping" on a connection with
`mysqladmin kill' or `mysqladmin shutdown'.  Instead, the client will
die when it issues its next command.

HP-UX notes
-----------

There are a couple of "small" problems when compiling *MySQL* on HP-UX.
We recommend that you use `gcc' instead of the HP-UX native compiler,
because `gcc' produces better code!

`gcc' 2.8.0 can't compile `readline' on HP-UX (an internal compiler
error occurs) if you are compiling with `-O6'.  On the other hand,
MIT-pthreads can't be compiled with the HP-UX compiler, because it
can't compile `.S' (assembler) files.  We got *MySQL* to compile on
HP-UX 10.20 by doing the following:

     shell> CC=gcc CXX=gcc \
            ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-low-memory
     shell> cd readline
     shell> edit Makefile and change -O6 to something lower
     shell> cd ..
     shell> make
     shell> make install
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld &

Win32 notes
===========

The *MySQL*-Win32 version has by now proven itself to be very stable.
The Win32 version of *MySQL* has the same features as the corresponding
Unix version with the following exceptions:

*Win95 and threads*
     Win95 leaks about 200 bytes of main memory for each thread
     creation.  Because of this, you shouldn't run `mysqld' for an
     extended time on Win95 if you do many connections, since each
     connection in *MySQL* creates a new thread!  NT and Win98 don't
     suffer from this bug.

*Blocking read*
     *MySQL* uses a blocking read for each connection.  This means that:
        * A connection will not be disconnected automatically after 8
          hours, as happens with the Unix version of *MySQL*.

        * If a connection "hangs," it's impossible to break it without
          killing *MySQL*.

        * `mysqladmin kill' will not work on a sleeping connection.

        * `mysqladmin shutdown' can't abort as long as there are
          sleeping connections.  We plan to fix this in the near future.

*UDF functions*
     For the moment, *MySQL*-Win32 does not support user definable
     functions.

*`DROP DATABASE'*
     You can't drop a database that is in use by some thread.

*Killing *MySQL* from the task manager*
     You can't kill *MySQL* from the task manager or with the shutdown
     utility in Windows95. You must take it down with `mysqladmin
     shutdown'.

*Case-insensitive names*
     Filenames are case insensitive on Win32, so database and table
     names are also case insensitive in *MySQL* for Win32.  The only
     restriction is that database and table names must be given in the
     same case throughout a given statement.  The following query would
     not work because it refers to a table both as `my_table' and as
     `MY_TABLE':
          SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE MY_TABLE.col=1;

*The `\' directory character*
     Pathname components in Win95 are separated by `\' characters,
     which is also the escape character in *MySQL*.  If you are using
     `LOAD DATA INFILE' or `SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE', you must double
     the `\' character or use Unix style filenames `/' characters:
          LOAD DATA INFILE "C:\\tmp\\skr.txt" INTO TABLE skr;
          SELECT * FROM skr INTO OUTFILE 'C:/tmp/skr.txt';

*`Can't open named pipe' error*
     If you use the shareware version of *MySQL*-Win32 on NT with the
     newest mysql-clients you will get the following error: `error
     2017: can't open named pipe to host: . pipe...'

     This is because the release version of *MySQL* uses named pipes on
     NT by default.  You can avoid this error by using the
     `--host=localhost' option to the new *MySQL* clients or create a
     file `C:\my.cnf' that contains the following information:

          [client]
          host = localhost

*`Access denied for user' error*
     If you get the error `Access denied for user: 'some-user@unknown'
     to database 'mysql'' when accessing a *MySQL* server on the same
     machine, this means that *MySQL* can't resolve your host name
     properly.

     To fix this, you should create a file `\windows\hosts' with the
     following information:

          127.0.0.1       localhost

Here are some open issues for anyone who might want to help us with the
Win32 release:

   * When you suspend a laptop running Win95, the `mysqld' daemon
     doesn't accept new connections when the laptop is resumed.  We
     don't know if this is a problem with Win95, TCP/IP or *MySQL*.

   * It would be real nice to be able to kill `mysqld' from the task
     manager.  For the moment, you must use `mysqladmin shutdown'.

   * When registering `mysqld' as a service with `-install' (on NT) it
     would be nice if you could also add default options on the command
     line.  For the moment, the workaround is to update the `C:\my.cnf'
     file instead.

   * Port `readline' to Win32 for use in the `mysql' command line tool.

   * GUI versions of the standard *MySQL* clients (`mysql',
     `mysqlshow', `mysqladmin', and `mysqldump') would be nice.

   * It would be nice if the socket "read" and "write" functions in
     `net.c' were interruptible. This would make it possible to kill
     open threads with `mysqladmin kill' on Win32.

   * Documentation of which Windows programs work with
     *MySQL*-Win32/*MyODBC* and what must be done to get them working.

   * `mysqld' always starts in the "C" locale and not in the default
     locale.  We would like to have `mysqld' use the current locale for
     the sort order.

   * Add more options to MysqlManager

   * Change the communication protocol between the server and client to
     use Windows internal communication instead of sockets and TCP/IP.

   * Implement UDF functions with `.DLL's.

Other Win32-specific issues are described in the `README' file that
comes with the *MySQL*-Win32 distribution.

OS/2 notes
==========

*MySQL* uses quite a few open files. Because of this, you should add
something like the following to your `CONFIG.SYS' file:

     SET EMXOPT=-c -n -h1024

If you don't do this, you will probably run into the following error:

     File 'xxxx' not found (Errcode: 24)

When using *MySQL* with OS/2 Warp 3, FixPack 29 or above is required.
With OS/2 Warp 4, FixPack 4 or above is required. This is a requirement
of the Pthreads library.  *MySQL* must be installed in a partition that
supports long file names such as HPFS, FAT32, etc.

The `INSTALL.CMD' script must be run from OS/2's own `CMD.EXE' and may
not work with replacement shells such as `4OS2.EXE'.

The `scripts/mysql-install-db' script has been renamed: it is now called
`install.cmd' and is a REXX script which will set up the default
*MySQL* security settings and create the WorkPlace Shell icons for
*MySQL*.

Dynamic module support is compiled in but not fully tested. Dynamic
modules should be compiled using the Pthreads runtime library.

     gcc -Zdll -Zmt -Zcrtdll=pthrdrtl -I../include -I../regex -I.. \
         -o example udf_example.cc -L../lib -lmysqlclient udf_example.def
     mv example.dll example.udf

*Note*: Due to limitations in OS/2, the UDF module name stem must not
exceed 8 characters. Modules are stored in the `/mysql2/udf' directory;
the `safe-mysqld.cmd' script will put this directory in the
`BEGINLIBPATH' environment variable. When using UDF modules, specified
extensions are ignored -- it is assumed to be `.udf'.

     CREATE FUNCTION metaphon RETURNS STRING SONAME "example";

TcX binaries
============

As a service, TcX provides a set of binary distributions of *MySQL*
that are compiled at TcX or at sites where customers kindly have given
us access to their machines.

These distributions are generated with
`scripts/make_binary_distribution' and are configured with the
following compilers and options:

SunOS 4.1.4 2 sun4c with `gcc' 2.7.2.1
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
     --disable-shared'

SunOS 5.5.1 sun4u with `egcs' 1.0.3a
     `CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6
     -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
     -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-low-memory'

SunOS 5.6 sun4u with `egcs' 2.90.27
     `CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6
     -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
     -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-low-memory'

SunOS 5.6 i86pc with `gcc' 2.8.1
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
     --with-low-memory'

Linux 2.0.33 i386 with `pgcc' 2.90.29 (`egcs' 1.0.3a)
     `CFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -mstack-align-double -fomit-frame-pointer"
     CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -mstack-align-double
     -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
     -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
     --enable-assembler --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static'

SCO 3.2v5.0.4 i386 with `gcc' 2.7-95q4
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql'

AIX 2 4 with `gcc' 2.7.2.2
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql'

OSF1 V4.0 564 alpha with `gcc' 2.8.1
     `CC=gcc CFLAGS=-O CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure
     --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-low-memory'

Irix 6.3 IP32 with `gcc' 2.8.0
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql'

BSDI BSD/OS 3.1 i386 with `gcc' 2.7.2.1
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql'

BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 i386 with `gcc' 2.7.2
     `CC=gcc CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql'

Anyone who has more optimal options for any of the configurations listed
above can always mail them to the developers mailinglist at
<mysql-developer@stripped>.

RPM distributions prior to *MySQL* 3.22 are user-contributed.
Beginning with 3.22, some RPMs are TcX-generated.

Post-installation setup and testing
===================================

* Menu:

* mysql_install_db::            Problems running `mysql_install_db'
* Starting server::             Problems starting the *MySQL* server
* Automatic start::             Starting and stopping *MySQL* automatically
* Option files::                Option files

Once you've installed *MySQL* (from either a binary or source
distribution), you need to initialize the grant tables, start the server
and make sure that the server works okay.  You may also wish to arrange
for the server to be started and stopped automatically when your system
starts up and shuts down.

Normally you install the grant tables and start the server like this:

     shell> ./scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> cd mysql_installation_directory
     shell> ./bin/safe_mysqld &

Testing is most easily done from the top-level directory of the *MySQL*
distribution.  For a binary distribution, this is your installation
directory (typically something like `/usr/local/mysql').  For a source
distribution, this is the main directory of your *MySQL* source tree.

In the commands shown below in this section and in the following
subsections, `BINDIR' is the path to the location in which programs
like `mysqladmin' and `safe_mysqld' are installed.  For a binary
distribution, this is the `bin' directory within the distribution.  For
a source distribution, `BINDIR' is probably `/usr/local/bin', unless
you specified an installation directory other than `/usr/local' when
you ran `configure'.  `EXECDIR' is the location in which the `mysqld'
server is installed.  For a binary distribution, this is the same as
`BINDIR'.  For a source distribution, `EXECDIR' is probably
`/usr/local/libexec'.

Testing is described in detail below:

  1. If necessary, start the `mysqld' server and set up the initial
     *MySQL* grant tables containing the privileges that determine how
     users are allowed to connect to the server.  This is normally done
     with the `mysql_install_db' script:

          shell> scripts/mysql_install_db

     Normally, `mysql_install_db' needs to be run only the first time
     you install *MySQL*.  Therefore, if you are upgrading an existing
     installation, you can skip this step. (However, `mysql_install_db'
     is quite safe to use and will not update any tables that already
     exist, so if you are unsure what to do, you can always run
     `mysql_install_db'.)

     `mysql_install_db' creates six tables (`user', `db', `host',
     `tables_priv', `columns_priv' and `func') in the `mysql' database.
     A description of the initial privileges is given in *Note Default
     privileges::.  Briefly, these privileges allow the *MySQL* `root'
     user to do anything, and allow anybody to create or use databases
     with a name of `'test'' or starting with `'test_''.

     If you don't set up the grant tables, the following error will
     appear in the log file when you start the server:

          mysqld: Can't find file: 'host.frm'

     You might need to run `mysql_install_db' as `root'.  However, if
     you prefer, you can run the *MySQL* server as an unprivileged
     (non-`root') user, provided that user can read and write files in
     the database directory.  Instructions for running *MySQL* as an
     unprivileged user are given in *Note Changing *MySQL* user:
     Changing MySQL user.

     If you have problems with `mysql_install_db', see *Note
     `mysql_install_db': mysql_install_db.

     There are some alternatives to running the `mysql_install_db'
     script as it is provided in the *MySQL* distribution:

        * You may want to edit `mysql_install_db' before running it, to
          change the initial privileges that are installed into the
          grant tables.  This is useful if you want to install *MySQL*
          on a lot of machines with the same privileges.  In this case
          you probably should need only to add a few extra `INSERT'
          statements to the `mysql.user' and `mysql.db' tables!

        * If you want to change things in the grant tables after
          installing them, you can run `mysql_install_db', then use
          `mysql -u root mysql' to connect to the grant tables as the
          *MySQL* `root' user and issue SQL statements to modify the
          grant tables directly.

        * It is possible to recreate the grant tables completely after
          they have already been created.  You might want to do this if
          you've already installed the tables but then want to recreate
          them after editing `mysql_install_db'.

     For more information about these alternatives, see *Note Default
     privileges::.

  2. Start the *MySQL* server like this:
          shell> cd mysql_installation_directory
          shell> bin/safe_mysqld &
     If you have problems starting the server, see *Note Starting
     server::.

  3. Use `mysqladmin' to verify that the server is running.  The
     following commands provide a simple test to check that the server
     is up and responding to connections:

          shell> BINDIR/mysqladmin version
          shell> BINDIR/mysqladmin variables

     The output from `mysqladmin version' varies slightly depending on
     your platform and version of *MySQL*, but should be similar to
     that shown below:

          shell> BINDIR/mysqladmin version
          mysqladmin  Ver 6.3 Distrib 3.22.9-beta, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
          TCX Datakonsult AB, by Monty

          Server version          3.22.9-beta
          Protocol version        10
          Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
          TCP port                3306
          UNIX socket             /tmp/mysql.sock
          Uptime:                 16 sec

          Running threads: 1  Questions: 20  Reloads: 2  Open tables: 3

     To get a feeling for what else you can do with `BINDIR/mysqladmin',
     invoke it with the `--help' option.

  4. Verify that you can shut down the server:

          shell> BINDIR/mysqladmin -u root shutdown

  5. Verify that you can restart the server.  Do this using
     `safe_mysqld' or by invoking `mysqld' directly.  For example:

          shell> BINDIR/safe_mysqld --log &

     If `safe_mysqld' fails, try running it from the *MySQL*
     installation directory (if you are not already there).  If that
     doesn't work, see *Note Starting server::.

  6. Run some simple tests to verify that the server is working.  The
     output should be similar to what is shown below:

          shell> BINDIR/mysqlshow
          +-----------+
          | Databases |
          +-----------+
          | mysql     |
          +-----------+

          shell> BINDIR/mysqlshow mysql
          Database: mysql
          +--------------+
          |    Tables    |
          +--------------+
          | columns_priv |
          | db           |
          | func         |
          | host         |
          | tables_priv  |
          | user         |
          +--------------+

          shell> BINDIR/mysql -e "select host,db,user from db" mysql
          +------+--------+------+
          | host | db     | user |
          +------+--------+------+
          | %    | test   |      |
          | %    | test_% |      |
          +------+--------+------+

     There is also a benchmark suite in the `sql-bench' directory
     (under the *MySQL* installation directory) that you can use to
     compare how *MySQL* performs on different platforms. The
     `sql-bench/Results' directory contains the results from many runs
     against different databases and platforms.  To run all tests,
     execute these commands:

          shell> cd sql-bench
          shell> run-all-tests

     If you don't have the `sql-bench' directory, you are probably
     using an RPM for a binary distribution.  (Source distribution RPMs
     include the benchmark directory.) In this case, you must first
     install the benchmark suite before you can use it.  Beginning with
     *MySQL* 3.22, there are benchmark RPM files named
     `mysql-bench-VERSION-i386.rpm' that contain benchmark code and
     data.

     If you have a source distribution, you can also run the tests in
     the `tests' subdirectory. For example, to run
     `auto_increment.tst', do this:

          shell> BINDIR/mysql -vvf test < ./tests/auto_increment.tst

     The expected results are shown in the `./tests/auto_increment.res'
     file.

Problems running `mysql_install_db'
-----------------------------------

This section lists problems you might encounter when you run
`mysql_install_db':

*`mysql_install_db' doesn't install the grant tables*
     You may find that `mysql_install_db' fails to install the grant
     tables and terminates after displaying the following messages:

          starting mysqld daemon with databases from XXXXXX
          mysql daemon ended

     In this case, you should examine the log file very carefully!  The
     log should be located in the directory `XXXXXX' named by the error
     message, and should indicate why `mysqld' didn't start.  If you
     don't understand what happened, include the log when you post a
     bug report using `mysqlbug'!  *Note Bug reports::.

*There is already a `mysqld' daemon running*
     In this case, you have probably don't have to run
     `mysql_install_db' at all.  You have to run `mysql_install_db'
     only once, when you install *MySQL* the first time.

*Installing a second `mysqld' daemon doesn't work when one daemon is running*
     This can happen when you already have an existing *MySQL*
     installation, but want to put a new installation in a different
     place (e.g., for testing, or perhaps you simply want to run two
     installations at the same time).  Generally the problem that
     occurs when you try to run the second server is that it tries to
     use the same socket and port as the old one.  In this case you
     will get the error message: `Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP
     port: Address already in use' or `Can't start server : Bind on
     unix socket...'  You can start the new server with a different
     socket and port as follows:

          shell> MYSQL_UNIX_PORT=/tmp/mysqld-new.sock
          shell> MYSQL_TCP_PORT=3307
          shell> export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT MYSQL_TCP_PORT
          shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
          shell> bin/safe_mysqld &

     After this, you should edit your server boot script to start both
     daemons with different sockets and ports.  For example, it could
     invoke `safe_mysqld' twice, but with different `--socket', `--port'
     and `--basedir' options for each invocation.

*You don't have write access to `/tmp'*
     If you don't have write access to create a socket file at the
     default place (in `/tmp') or permission to create temporary files
     in `/tmp,' you will get an error when running `mysql_install_db'
     or when starting or using `mysqld'.

     You can specify a different socket and temporary directory as
     follows:

          shell> TMPDIR=/some_tmp_dir/
          shell> MYSQL_UNIX_PORT=/some_tmp_dir/mysqld.sock
          shell> export TMPDIR MYSQL_UNIX_PORT

     `some_tmp_dir' should be the path to some directory for which you
     have write permission.

     After this you should be able to run `mysql_install_db' and start
     the server with these commands:

          shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
          shell> BINDIR/safe_mysqld &

*`mysqld' crashes immediately*
     If you are running RedHat 5.0 with a version of `glibc' older than
     2.0.7-5, you should make sure you have installed all `glibc'
     patches!  There is a lot of information about this in the *MySQL*
     mail archives.  Links to the mail archives are available at the
     online *MySQL* documentation page (http://www.mysql.com/doc.html).
     Also, see *Note Linux::.

     You can also start `mysqld' manually using the `--skip-grant'
     option and add the privilege information yourself using `mysql':

          shell> BINDIR/safe_mysqld --skip-grant &
          shell> BINDIR/mysql -u root mysql

     From `mysql', manually execute the SQL commands in
     `mysql_install_db'.  Make sure you run `mysqladmin reload'
     afterward to tell the server to reload the grant tables.

Problems starting the *MySQL* server
------------------------------------

Generally, you start the `mysqld' server in one of three ways:

   * By invoking `mysql.server'.  This script is used primarily at
     system startup and shutdown, and is described more fully in *Note
     Automatic start::.

   * By invoking `safe_mysqld', which tries to determine the proper
     options for `mysqld' and then runs it with those options.

   * By invoking `mysqld' directly.

Whichever method you use to start the server, if it fails to start up
correctly, check the log file to see if you can find out why.  Log files
are located in the data directory (typically `/usr/local/mysql/data'
for a binary distribution, `/usr/local/var' for a source distribution).
Look in the data directory for files with names of the form
`host_name.err' and `host_name.log' where `host_name' is the name of
your server host.  Then check the last few lines of these files:

     shell> tail host_name.err
     shell> tail host_name.log

When the `mysqld' daemon starts up, it changes directory to the data
directory.  This is where it expects to write log files and the pid
(process ID) file, and where it expects to find databases.

The data directory location is hardwired in when the distribution is
compiled.  However, if `mysqld' expects to find the data directory
somewhere other than where it really is on your system, it will not work
properly.  If you have problems with incorrect paths, you can find out
what options `mysqld' allows and what the default path settings are by
invoking `mysqld' with the `--help' option.  You can override the
defaults by specifying the correct pathnames as command-line arguments
to `mysqld'.  (These options can be used with `safe_mysqld' as well.)

Normally you should need to tell `mysqld' only the base directory under
which *MySQL* is installed.  You can do this with the `--basedir'
option.  You can also use `--help' to check the effect of changing path
options (note that `--help' *must* be the final option of the `mysqld'
command).  For example:

     shell> EXECDIR/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --help

Once you determine the path settings you want, start the server without
the `--help' option.

If you get the following error, it means that some other program (or
another `mysqld' server) is already using the TCP/IP port or socket
`mysqld' is trying to use:

     Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already in use
       or
     Can't start server : Bind on unix socket...

Use `ps' to make sure that you don't have another `mysqld' server
running.  If you can't find another server running, you can try to
execute the command `telnet your-host-name tcp-ip-port-number' and press
`RETURN' a couple of times.  If you don't get a error message like
`telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused',
something is using the TCP/IP port `mysqld' is trying to use.  *Note
`mysql_install_db': mysql_install_db, and *Note Multiple servers::.

The `safe_mysqld' script is written so that it normally is able to start
a server that was installed from either a source or a binary version of
*MySQL*, even if these install the server in slightly different
locations.  `safe_mysqld' expects one of these conditions to be true:

   * The server and databases can be found relative to the directory
     from which `safe_mysqld' is invoked.  `safe_mysqld' looks under
     its working directory for `bin' and `data' directories (for binary
     distributions) or for `libexec' and `var' directories (for source
     distributions).  This condition should be met if you execute
     `safe_mysqld' from your *MySQL* installation directory (for
     example, `/usr/local/mysql' for a binary distribution).

   * If the server and databases cannot be found relative to its
     working directory, `safe_mysqld' attempts to locate them by
     absolute pathnames.  Typical locations are `/usr/local/libexec'
     and `/usr/local/var'.  The actual locations are determined when
     the distribution was built from which `safe_mysqld' comes.  They
     should be correct if *MySQL* was installed in a standard location.

Since `safe_mysqld' will try to find the server and databases relative
to its own working directory, you can install a binary distribution of
*MySQL* anywhere, as long as you start `safe_mysqld' from the *MySQL*
installation directory:

     shell> cd mysql_installation_directory
     shell> bin/safe_mysqld &

If `safe_mysqld' fails, even when invoked from the *MySQL* installation
directory, you can modify it to use the path to `mysqld' and the
pathname options that are correct for your system.  Note that if you
upgrade *MySQL* in the future, your modified version of `safe_mysqld'
will be overwritten, so you should make a copy of your edited version
that you can reinstall.

If `mysqld' is currently running, you can find out what path settings
it is using by executing this command:

     shell> mysqladmin variables

If `safe_mysqld' starts the server but you can't connect to it, you
should make sure you have an entry in `/etc/hosts' that looks like this:

     127.0.0.1       localhost

This problem occurs only on systems that don't have a working thread
library and for which *MySQL* must be configured to use MIT-pthreads.

Starting and stopping *MySQL* automatically

The `mysql.server' script can be used to start or stop the server, by
invoking it with `start' or `stop' arguments:

     shell> mysql.server start
     shell> mysql.server stop

`mysql.server' can be found in the `share/mysql' directory under the
*MySQL* installation directory, or in the `support-files' directory of
the *MySQL* source tree.

Before `mysql.server' starts the server, it changes directory to the
*MySQL* installation directory, then invokes `safe_mysqld'.  You might
need to edit `mysql.server' if you have a binary distribution that
you've installed in a non-standard location.  Modify it to `cd' into
the proper directory before it runs `safe_mysqld'. If you want the
server to run as some specific user, you can change the
`mysql_daemon_user=root' line to use another user.  You can also modify
`mysql.server' to pass other options to `safe_mysqld'.

`mysql.server stop' brings down server by sending a signal to it.  You
can take down the server manually by executing `mysqladmin shutdown'.

You might want to add these start and stop commands to the appropriate
places in your `/etc/rc*' files when you start using *MySQL* for
production applications.  Note that if you modify `mysql.server', then
if you upgrade *MySQL* sometime, your modified version will be
overwritten, so you should make a copy of your edited version that you
can reinstall.

If your system uses `/etc/rc.local' to start external scripts, you
should append the following to it:
     /bin/sh -c 'cd /usr/local/mysql ; ./bin/safe_mysqld &'

You can also add options or `mysql.server' in a global `/etc/my.cnf'
file.  A typical `/etc/my.cnf' file might look like this:

     [mysqld]
     datadir=/usr/local/mysql/var
     socket=/tmp/mysqld.sock
     port=3306

     [mysql.server]
     user=mysql
     basedir=/usr/local/mysql

The `mysql.server' script uses the following variables: `user',
`datadir', `basedir', `bindir' and `pid-file'.

*Note Option files::.

Option files
------------

*MySQL* 3.22 can read default startup options for the server and for
clients from option files.

*MySQL* reads default options from the following files on Unix:

*Filename*             *Purpose*
`/etc/my.cnf'          Global options
`DATADIR/my.cnf'       Server-specific options
`~/.my.cnf'            User-specific options

`DATADIR' is the *MySQL* data directory (typically
`/usr/local/mysql/data' for a binary installation, or `/usr/local/var'
for a source installation).  Note that this is the directory that was
specified at configuration time, not the one specified with `--datadir'
when `mysqld' starts up!  (`--datadir' has no effect on where the
server looks for option files, because it looks for them before it
processes any command-line arguments.)

*MySQL* reads default options from the following files on Win32:

*Filename*             *Purpose*
`C:\my.cnf'            Global options
`C:\mysql\data\my.cnf' Server-specific options

*MySQL* tries to read option files in the order listed above.  If
multiple option files exist, an option specified in a file read later
takes precedence over the same option specified in a file read earlier.
Options specified on the command line take precedence over options
specified in any option file.  Some options can be specified using
environment variables.  Options specified on the command line or in
option files take precedence over environment variable values.

The following programs support option files:  `mysql', `mysqladmin',
`mysqld', `mysqldump', `mysqlimport', `mysql.server', `isamchk' and
`pack_isam'.

You can use option files to specify any long option that a program
supports!  Run the program with `--help' to get a list of available
options.

An option file can contain lines of the following forms:

`#comment'
     Comment lines starts with `#' or `;'. Empty lines are ignored.

`[group]'
     `group' is the name of the program or group for which you want to
     set options.  After a group line, any `option' or `set-variable'
     lines apply to the named group until the end of the option file or
     another group line is given.

`option'
     This is equivalent to `--option' on the command line.

`option=value'
     This is equivalent to `--option=value' on the command line.

`set-variable = variable=value'
     This is equivalent to `--set-variable variable=value' on the
     command line.  This syntax must be used to set a `mysqld' variable.

The `client' group allows you to specify options that apply to all
*MySQL* clients (not `mysqld'). This is the perfect group to use to
specify the password you use to connect to the server.  (But make sure
the option file is readable and writable only to yourself.)

Note that for options and values, all leading and trailing blanks are
automatically deleted.  You may use the escape sequences `\b', `\t',
`\n', `\r', `\\' and `\s' in your value string (`\s' == blank).

Here is a typical global option file:

     [client]
     port=3306
     socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

     [mysqld]
     port=3306
     socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
     set-variable = key_buffer=16M
     set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M

     [mysqldump]
     quick

Here is typical user option file:

     [client]
     # The following password will be sent to all standard MySQL clients
     password=my_password

     [mysql]
     no-auto-rehash

If you have a source distribution, you will find a sample configuration
file named `my-example.cnf' in the `support-files' directory.  If you
have a binary distribution, look in the `DIR/share/mysql' directory,
where `DIR' is the pathname to the *MySQL* installation directory
(typically `/usr/local/mysql'). You can copy `my-example.cnf' to your
home directory (rename the copy to `.my.cnf') to experiment with.

To tell a *MySQL* program not to read any option files, specify
`--no-defaults' as the first option on the command line.  This *MUST*
be the first option or it will have no effect!  If you want to check
which options are used, you can give the option `--print-defaults' as
the first option.

Note for developers:  Option file handling is implemented simply by
processing all matching options (i.e., options in the appropriate group)
before any command line arguments. This works nicely for programs that
use the last instance of an option that is specified multiple times. If
you have an old program that handles multiply-specified options this
way but doesn't read option files, you need add only two lines to give
it that capability.  Check the source code of any of the standard
*MySQL* clients to see how to do this.

Is there anything special to do when upgrading/downgrading *MySQL*?

You can always move the *MySQL* form and data files between different
versions on the same architecture as long as you have the same base
version of *MySQL*. The current base version is 3. If you change the
character set by recompiling *MySQL* (which may also change the sort
order), you must run `isamchk -r -q' on all tables.  Otherwise your
indexes may not be ordered correctly.

If you are paranoid and/or afraid of new versions, you can always
rename your old `mysqld' to something like
`mysqld'-'old-version-number'.  If your new `mysqld' then does
something unexpected, you can simply shut it down and restart with your
old `mysqld'!

When you do an upgrade you should also backup your old databases, of
course.  Sometimes it's good to be a little paranoid!

After an upgrade, if you experience problems with recompiled client
programs, like `Commands out of sync' or unexpected core dumps, you
probably have used an old header or library file when compiling your
programs.  In this case you should check the date for your `mysql.h'
file and `libmysqlclient.a' library to verify that they are from the new
*MySQL* distribution.  If not, please recompile your programs!

It is a good idea to rebuild and reinstall the `Msql-Mysql-modules'
distribution whenever you install a new release of *MySQL*,
particularly if you notice symptoms such as all your `DBI' scripts
dumping core after you upgrade *MySQL*.

* Menu:

* Upgrading-from-3.21::         Upgrading from a 3.21 version to 3.22
* Upgrading-from-3.20::         Upgrading from a 3.20 version to 3.21
* Upgrading-to-arch::           Upgrading to another architecture

Upgrading from a 3.21 version to 3.22
-------------------------------------

Nothing that affects compatibility has changed between 3.21 and 3.22.
The only pitfall is that new tables that are created with `DATE' type
columns will use the new way to store the date. You can't access these
new fields from an old version of `mysqld'.

After installing *MySQL* 3.22, you should start the new server and then
run the `mysql_fix_privilege_tables' script. This will add the new
privileges that you need to use the `GRANT' command.  If you forget
this, you will get `Access denied' when you try to use `ALTER TABLE',
`CREATE INDEX' or `DROP INDEX'. If your *MySQL* root user requires a
password, you should give this as an argument to
`mysql_fix_privilege_tables'.

The C API interface to `mysql_real_connect()' has changed.  If you have
an old client program that calls this function, you must place a `0' for
the new `db' argument (or recode the client to send the `db' element
for faster connections).  You must also call `mysql_init()' before
calling `mysql_real_connect()' !  This change was done to allow the new
`mysql_options()' function to save options in the `MYSQL' handler
structure.

Upgrading from a 3.20 version to 3.21
-------------------------------------

If you are running a version older than 3.20.28 and want to switch to
3.21.x, you need to do the following:

You can start the `mysqld' 3.21 server with `safe_mysqld
--old-protocol' to use it with clients from the 3.20 distribution.  In
this case, the new client function `mysql_errno()' will not return any
server error, only `CR_UNKNOWN_ERROR', (but it works for client errors)
and the server uses the old password() checking rather than the new one.

If you are *NOT* using the `--old-protocol' option to `mysqld', you
will need to make the following changes:

   * All client code must be recompiled. If you are using ODBC, you
     must get the new *MyODBC* 2.x driver.

   * The script `scripts/add_long_password' must be run to convert the
     `Password' field in the `mysql.user' table to `CHAR(16)'.

   * All passwords must be reassigned in the `mysql.user' table (to get
     62-bit rather than 31-bit passwords).

   * The table format hasn't changed, so you don't have to convert any
     tables.

*MySQL* 3.20.28 and above can handle the new `user' table format
without affecting clients. If you have a *MySQL* version earlier than
3.20.28, passwords will no longer work with it if you convert the `user'
table. So to be safe, you should first upgrade to at least 3.20.28 and
then upgrade to 3.21.x.

The new client code works with a 3.20.x `mysqld' server, so if you
experience problems with 3.21.x, you can use the old 3.20.x server
without having to recompile the clients again.

If you are not using the `--old-protocol' option to `mysqld', old
clients will issue the error message:

     ERROR: Protocol mismatch. Server Version = 10 Client Version = 9

The new Perl `DBI'/`DBD' interface also supports the old `mysqlperl'
interface.  The only change you have to make if you use `mysqlperl' is
to change the arguments to the `connect()' function.  The new arguments
are: `host', `database', `user', `password' (the `user' and `password'
arguments have changed places).  *Note Perl `DBI' Class: Perl DBI Class.

The following changes may affect queries in old applications:

   * `HAVING' must now be specified before any `ORDER BY' clause.

   * The parameters to `LOCATE()' have been swapped.

   * There are some new reserved words. The most notable are `DATE',
     `TIME' and `TIMESTAMP'.

Upgrading to another architecture
---------------------------------

Currently the *MySQL* data and index files (`*.ISD' and `*.ISM' files)
are architecture-dependent and in some case OS-dependent.  If you want
to move your applications to another machine that has a different
architecture or OS than your current machine, you should not try to
move a database by simply copying the files to the other machine.  Use
`mysqldump' instead.

By default, `mysqldump' will create a file full of SQL statements.  You
can then transfer the file to the other machine and feed it as input to
the `mysql' client.

Try `mysqldump --help' to see what options are available.  If you are
moving the data to a newer version of *MySQL*, you should use
`mysqldump --opt' with the newer version to get a fast, compact dump.

The easiest (although not the fastest) way to move a database between
two machines is to run the following commands on the machine on which
the database is located:

     shell> mysqladmin -h 'other hostname' create db_name
     shell> mysqldump --opt db_name \
             | mysql -h 'other hostname' db_name

If you want to copy a database from a remote machine over a slow
network, you can use:

     shell> mysqladmin create db_name
     shell> mysqldump -h 'other hostname' --opt --compress db_name \
             | mysql db_name

You can also store the result in a file, then transfer the file to the
target machine and load the file into the database there.  For example,
you can dump a database to a file on the source machine like this:

     shell> mysqldump --quick db_name | gzip > db_name.contents.gz

(The file created in this example is compressed.) Transfer the file
containing the database contents to the target machine and run these
commands there:

     shell> mysqladmin create db_name
     shell> gunzip < db_name.contents.gz | mysql db_name

You can also use `mysqldump' and `mysqlimport' to accomplish the
database transfer.  For big tables, this is much faster than simply
using `mysqldump'.  In the commands shown below, `DUMPDIR' represents
the full pathname of the directory you use to store the output from
`mysqldump'.

First, create the directory for the output files and dump the database:

     shell> mkdir DUMPDIR
     shell> mysqldump --tab=DUMPDIR db_name

Then transfer the files in the `DUMPDIR' directory to some corresponding
directory on the target machine and load the files into *MySQL* there:

     shell> mysqladmin create db_name           # create database
     shell> cat DUMPDIR/*.sql | mysql db_name   # create tables in database
     shell> mysqlimport db_name DUMPDIR/*.txt   # load data into tables

Also, don't forget to copy the `mysql' database, since that's where the
grant tables (`user', `db', `host') are stored.  You may have to run
commands as the *MySQL* `root' user on the new machine until you have
the `mysql' database in place.

After you import the `mysql' database on the new machine, execute
`mysqladmin flush-privileges' so that the server reloads the grant table
information.

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright (C) 1997, 1998 TCX DataKonsult AB & Monty Program KB & Detron HB
# For a more info consult the file COPYRIGHT distributed with this file

# This scripts creates the privilege tables db, host, user, tables_priv,
# columns_priv in the mysql database, as well as the func table.
#
# All arguments (exept -IN-RPM as a first argument) to this script are
# passed to mysqld

ldata=/usr/people/b/bella/sql
mdata=$ldata/mysql
execdir=/usr/people/b/bella/sql/sbin/libexec
bindir=/usr/people/b/bella/sql/sbin

force=0
IN_RPM=0

# Are we doing an rpm install?
if test "$1" = "-IN-RPM"; then IN_RPM=1; shift; fi
if test "$1" = "--force"; then force=1; shift; fi

# Get mysqld/safe_mysqld options from /etc/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf
if test -w /
then
  conf=/etc/my.cnf
else
  conf=$HOME/.my.cnf
fi

if test -f "$conf"
then
  if grep "^datadir" $conf >/dev/null
  then
    ldata=`grep "^datadir" $conf | cut -f 2 -d=`
  fi
  if grep "^execdir" $conf >/dev/null
  then
    ldata=`grep "^execdir" $conf | cut -f 2 -d=`
  fi
  if grep "^bindir" $conf >/dev/null
  then
    ldata=`grep "^bindir" $conf | cut -f 2 -d=`
  fi
  if grep "^user" $conf >/dev/null
  then
    user=`grep "^user" $conf | cut -f 2 -d=`
  fi
fi

if test ! -x $execdir/mysqld
then
  if test "$IN_RPM" -eq 1
  then
    echo "FATAL ERROR $execdir/mysqld not found!"
    exit 1
  else
    echo "Didn't find $execdir/mysqld"
    echo "You should do a 'make install' before executing this script"
    exit 1
  fi
fi

# On IRIX hostname is in /usr/bsd so add this to the path
PATH=$PATH:/usr/bsd
hostname=`hostname`		# Install this too in the user table

# Check if hostname is valid
if test "$IN_RPM" -eq 0 -a $force -eq 0
then
  resolved=`$bindir/resolveip $hostname 2>&1`
  if [ $? -ne 0 ]
  then
    resolved=`$bindir/resolveip localhost 2>&1`
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then
      echo "Sorry, the host '$hostname' could not be looked up."
      echo "Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname."
      echo "If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with"
      echo "the --force option"
      exit 1
    fi
    echo "WARNING: Your libc libraries are not 100 % compatible with this MySQL version"
    echo "mysqld should work normally with the exception that host name resolving"
    echo "will not work.  This means that you should use IP addresses instead"
    echo "of hostnames when specifying MySQL privileges !"
  fi
fi

# Create database directories mysql & test
if test "$IN_RPM" -eq 0
then
  if test ! -d $ldata; then mkdir $ldata; fi
  if test ! -d $ldata/mysql; then mkdir $ldata/mysql; fi
  if test ! -d $ldata/test; then mkdir $ldata/test; fi
  if test -w / -a ! -z "$user"; then
    chown $user $ldata $ldata/mysql $ldata/test;
  fi
fi

# Initialize variables
c_d="" i_d=""
c_h="" i_h=""
c_u="" i_u=""
c_f="" i_f=""
c_t="" c_c=""

# Check for old tables
if test ! -f $mdata/db.frm
then
  echo "Creating db table"

  # mysqld --bootstrap wants one command/line
  c_d="$c_d CREATE TABLE db ("
  c_d="$c_d   Host char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Db char(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   User char(16) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Select_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Insert_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Update_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Delete_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Create_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Drop_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Grant_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   References_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Index_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d   Alter_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_d="$c_d PRIMARY KEY Host (Host,Db,User),"
  c_d="$c_d KEY User (User)"
  c_d="$c_d );"

  i_d="INSERT INTO db VALUES ('%','test','','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');
  INSERT INTO db VALUES ('%','test\_%','','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');"
fi

if test ! -f $mdata/host.frm
then
  echo "Creating host table"

  c_h="$c_h CREATE TABLE host ("
  c_h="$c_h  Host char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Db char(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Select_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Insert_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Update_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Delete_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Create_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Drop_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Grant_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  References_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Index_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  Alter_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_h="$c_h  PRIMARY KEY Host (Host,Db)"
  c_h="$c_h );"
fi

if test ! -f $mdata/user.frm
then
  echo "Creating user table"

  c_u="$c_u CREATE TABLE user ("
  c_u="$c_u   Host char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   User char(16) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Password char(16) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Select_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Insert_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Update_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Delete_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Create_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Drop_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Reload_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Shutdown_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Process_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   File_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Grant_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   References_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Index_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   Alter_priv enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N' NOT NULL,"
  c_u="$c_u   PRIMARY KEY Host (Host,User)"
  c_u="$c_u );"

  i_u="INSERT INTO user VALUES ('localhost','root','','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');
  INSERT INTO user VALUES ('$hostname','root','','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');

  REPLACE INTO user VALUES ('localhost','root','','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');
  REPLACE INTO user VALUES ('$hostname','root','','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y');

  INSERT INTO user VALUES ('localhost','','','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','Y','Y','Y');
  INSERT INTO user VALUES ('$hostname','','','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','Y','Y','Y');"
fi

if test ! -f $mdata/func.frm
then
  echo "Creating func table"

  c_f="$c_f CREATE TABLE func ("
  c_f="$c_f   name char(64) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_f="$c_f   ret tinyint(1) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,"
  c_f="$c_f   dl char(128) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_f="$c_f   type enum ('function','aggregate') NOT NULL,"
  c_f="$c_f   PRIMARY KEY (name)"
  c_f="$c_f );"
fi

if test ! -f $mdata/tables_priv.frm
then
  echo "Creating tables_priv table"

  c_t="$c_t CREATE TABLE tables_priv ("
  c_t="$c_t   Host char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   Db char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   User char(16) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   Table_name char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   Grantor char(77) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   Timestamp timestamp(14),"
  c_t="$c_t   Table_priv set('Select','Insert','Update','Delete','Create','Drop','Grant','References','Index','Alter') DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   Column_priv set('Select','Insert','Update','References') DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_t="$c_t   PRIMARY KEY (Host,Db,User,Table_name),"
  c_t="$c_t   KEY Grantor (Grantor)"
  c_t="$c_t );"
fi

if test ! -f $mdata/columns_priv.frm
then
  echo "Creating columns_priv table"

  c_c="$c_c CREATE TABLE columns_priv ("
  c_c="$c_c   Host char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_c="$c_c   Db char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_c="$c_c   User char(16) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_c="$c_c   Table_name char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_c="$c_c   Column_name char(60) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_c="$c_c   Timestamp timestamp(14),"
  c_c="$c_c   Column_priv set('Select','Insert','Update','References') DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,"
  c_c="$c_c   PRIMARY KEY (Host,Db,User,Table_name,Column_name)"
  c_c="$c_c );"
fi
echo "Created columns_priv table"
 if $execdir/mysqld --bootstrap --skip-grant-tables \
    --basedir=/usr/people/b/bella/mysql --datadir=$ldata "$@" << END_OF_DATA
use mysql;
$c_d
$i_d

$c_h
$i_h

$c_u
$i_u

$c_f
$i_f

$c_t
$c_c
END_OF_DATA
then
  echo ""
  if test "$IN_RPM" -eq 0
  then
    echo "To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server"
    echo "to the right place for your system"
    echo
  fi
  echo "PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !"
  echo "This is done with:"
  echo "$bindir/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'"
  echo "See the manual for more instructions."
  #
  # Print message about upgrading unless we have created a new db table.
  if test -z "$c_d"
  then
    echo
    echo "NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run"
    echo "the $bindir/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be"
    echo "able to use the new GRANT command!"
  fi
  echo
  if test -z "$IN_RPM"
  then
    echo "You can start the MySQL demon with:"
    echo "cd /usr/people/b/bella/mysql ; $bindir/safe_mysqld &"
    echo
    echo "You can test the MySQL demon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory:"
    echo "cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests"
    echo
  fi
  echo "Please report any problems with the /usr/people/b/bella/mysql/bin/mysqlbug script!"
  echo
  echo "The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at http://www.tcx.se"
  echo "Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://www.tcx.se/license.htmy."
  echo
  exit 0
else
  echo "Installation of grant tables failed!"
  echo
  echo "Examine the logs in $ldata for more information."
  echo "You can also try to start the mysqld demon with:"
  echo "$execdir/mysqld --skip-grant &"
  echo "You can use the command line tool"
  echo "$bindir/mysql to connect to the mysql"
  echo "database and look at the grant tables:"
  echo
  echo "shell> $bindir/mysql -u root mysql"
  echo "mysql> show tables"
  echo
  echo "Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log"
  echo "gives you a log in $ldata that may be helpful."
  echo
  echo "The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at"
  echo "http://www.mysql.com"
  echo "Please consult the MySQL manual section: 'Problems running mysql_install_db',"
  echo "and the manual section that describes problems on your OS."
  echo "Another information source is the MySQL email archive."
  echo "Please check all of the above before mailing us!"
  echo "And if you do mail us, you MUST use the /usr/people/b/bella/mysql/bin/mysqlbug script!"
  exit 1
fi
Thread
problems with "make install" - Installing mysql in LinuxIsabelle Poueriet21 Mar
  • Re: problems with "make install" - Installing mysql in LinuxThimble Smith21 Mar
Re: problems with "make install" - Installing mysql in LinuxIsabelle Poueriet22 Mar
Re: problems with "make install" - Installing mysql in LinuxFred Lindberg22 Mar
Re: ODBC Calls to Oracle DB and MSSQL Server 7almir kazazic4 Oct
Re: ODBC Calls to Oracle DB and MSSQL Server 7Bob Kline4 Oct