List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 17 2001 4:58pm
Subject:Re: IS THIS A BUG?
View as plain text
At 9:50 AM -0400 5/17/01, Dave Carter wrote:
>We wanted users to be able to connect to a particular db remotely. Which
>would mean we would have to change their host to "%" This worked fine, but
>when we did that, we could not connect locally. In order to connect locally,
>we to create another user with the host value of localhost to get into the
>db. I took "%" to mean from ANY host??? Am I mistaken or is this a bug?

Not a bug, but it's a confusing scenario that happens often.  Check to see
if you have any anonymous-user entries in the user table (entries with
the empty string in the user column: SELECT * FROM user WHERE user = '').
If do, delete them and FLUSH PRIVILEGES.

If you have my book, this is explained in "A Privilege Puzzle, Part I",
page 429, and "A Privilege Puzzle, Part II", pages 464-465.

>Version mysql : 3.22.33
>Linux Version : Cobalt 6.0 (RH 6.0)
>
>Dave Carter
>Chief Web Architect
>Accelerated Business Technologies, Inc.
>http://www.abti.cc
>717.464.2970

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
mysqlgui: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '' (111) errorPhilippe Jausions17 May
  • Re: mysqlgui: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '' (111) errorSinisa Milivojevic17 May
    • IS THIS A BUG?Dave Carter17 May
      • Re: IS THIS A BUG?David Simmons - EliteUKServe.Net17 May
      • Re: IS THIS A BUG?Paul DuBois17 May
      • Re: IS THIS A BUG?Ken Menzel17 May
    • Re: mysqlgui: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '' ( 111) errorDavid Zhao24 May