List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 10 2001 5:25pm
Subject:Re: Mysql Root User (super user)
View as plain text
At 10:16 AM -0700 5/10/01, Simon Chan wrote:
>In 6.13 of the mysql manual (Setting up th initial Mysql
>Privileges), it mentions that "the Mysql
>root user is created as a superuser who can do anything.  The
>Initial root password is empty, so
>anyone can connect as root without a pasword and be granted all privileges."
>
>How is this mysql super user created?  Where can I find the
>username?  It is NOT the same as the
>username I add with the "useradd" command, is it?

The MySQL root user is created when you run the mysql_install_db script
after installing MySQL.  The user name is "root".  MySQL users are listed
in the user table of the mysql database.

This has nothing to do with useradd, which creates UNIX user accounts.
MySQL user accounts are entirely separate.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread