List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:July 14 1999 9:18pm
Subject:Re: surviving the Slashdot effect
View as plain text
Derick H Siddoway wrote:

> {description of oracle's strengths snipped}
>
> >>Not In My Experience.
>
> >I will respectfully submit that you have never worked on a truly well-tuned
> >Oracle implementation.
> >
> >In my experience, 90% of Oracle application implementations are seriously
> >broken.
>
> I'll buy that.  Since I haven't been involved in the implementation of
> any of them (I'm just a simple sysadmin), I won't even take offense.
>
> >Truly expert Oracle developers are far and few
> >between indeed.
>
> But this is why I have a general problem with Oracle.  When we have issues,
> it takes a LONG time to find anyone (at Oracle even) who can answer the
> question.  The last time we had an Oracle consultant drop by to evaluate
> our systems, she spent way too much time wondering why we hadn't done
> this and that with the OS and not enough time looking at Oracle.  We couldn't
> even get decent tuning information out of her.
>
> Compare this to getting answers usually the same day from the actual
> developers!  We should be expecting more from the companies that charge
> us the big bucks.  How come Oracle doesn't provide Oracle Certified
> Database Engineer classes?
>
> Yes, Oracle does a lot that MySQL doesn't.  (I can't run MySQL as a
> parallel database on Sun's HA framework, for instance.)  But I would
> rather work with shortcomings in software and excellent support than
> the other way 'round.
>
> --
> derick

And I believe we have a shot to get MySQL to the point where it can
replace Oracle in 95% of the cases. It would take a team of developers
on the net to help Monty. Look at Linux - Linus wrote only about 10% of
the code himself - the rest was written by the programmers interested in
seeing Linux succeed. Some even got their companies to pay for it.
Apache is another example of a successful open source project done by a
team. MySQL is not quite there yet - Monty has written about 90% of the
code himself - this is very impressive - how many of us could write an
RDBMS similar to MySQL almost entirely on our own? Now if MySQL is as
great as it is now, can you image what would happen, if Monty starts
getting some help? I wanted to do it for a long time, but just kept
putting it off. Finally I decided to take a leap of faith - interviewed
for a new job, and negotiated working on MySQL development as part of
the contract - so starting August 1st I'll be officially hacking MySQL -
I'm excited!

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael R. Gile12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSrfRoG12 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAdam Powell12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectOrlando Andico12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers13 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson13 Jul
      • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
          • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael Widenius30 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectT├Ánu Samuel14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers14 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway15 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDarrell Shifflett15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson17 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effect (headed slightly off topic)\"Terrence W. Zellers\"18 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAntony T Curtis19 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev19 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway19 Jul