List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Derick H Siddoway Date:July 14 1999 7:26pm
Subject:Re: surviving the Slashdot effect
View as plain text
{description of oracle's strengths snipped}

>>Not In My Experience.

>I will respectfully submit that you have never worked on a truly well-tuned
>Oracle implementation.
>
>In my experience, 90% of Oracle application implementations are seriously
>broken.

I'll buy that.  Since I haven't been involved in the implementation of
any of them (I'm just a simple sysadmin), I won't even take offense.

>Truly expert Oracle developers are far and few
>between indeed.

But this is why I have a general problem with Oracle.  When we have issues,
it takes a LONG time to find anyone (at Oracle even) who can answer the
question.  The last time we had an Oracle consultant drop by to evaluate
our systems, she spent way too much time wondering why we hadn't done
this and that with the OS and not enough time looking at Oracle.  We couldn't
even get decent tuning information out of her.

Compare this to getting answers usually the same day from the actual
developers!  We should be expecting more from the companies that charge
us the big bucks.  How come Oracle doesn't provide Oracle Certified
Database Engineer classes?

Yes, Oracle does a lot that MySQL doesn't.  (I can't run MySQL as a
parallel database on Sun's HA framework, for instance.)  But I would
rather work with shortcomings in software and excellent support than
the other way 'round.

--
derick

Thread
surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael R. Gile12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSrfRoG12 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAdam Powell12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectOrlando Andico12 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers13 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson13 Jul
      • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectPatrick Greenwell13 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
          • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectMichael Widenius30 Jul
        • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectT├Ánu Samuel14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway14 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers14 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson14 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway15 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDarrell Shifflett15 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectJames Rogers17 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectThomas D. Wilkinson17 Jul
    • Re: surviving the Slashdot effect (headed slightly off topic)\"Terrence W. Zellers\"18 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectAntony T Curtis19 Jul
  • Re: surviving the Slashdot effectSasha Pachev19 Jul
Re: surviving the Slashdot effectDerick H Siddoway19 Jul